- 1 Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
- 2 Interview: Justin Foster, Foster Thinking
- 3 Startup Stories
- 4 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5 The Startup Journey: Updates
Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
"Upcoming courses include Cybersecurity Analyst+, CCNA Cyber Ops, ITIL Operational Support and Analysis, Penetration testing, Networking+, Ethical Hacking v9. ITProTV is introducing a new membership level soon. All current Premium Members will be granted the highest membership level available, so sign up today! Visit itpro.tv/startupsecurity and use code SS30."
Joe writes in:
"Question for you guys (I couldn't find the actual ssw email address), are you guys interested in doing a ssw show that covers lifestyle businesses  and how they contrast from startups?
I think there could be lots of people in security industry (myself included) that aren't after the high risk and intensity of rapid growth, but do want to take on some level of business to give themselves some autonomy from their day job. There's also some legal aspects around "work for hire" restrictions and taxes that it would be great if you guys could cover."
Interview: Justin Foster, Foster Thinking
For more than a decade, Fortune 1000 corporations and self-aware entrepreneurs have turned to Justin Foster for a new way to think––and be. The 45-year-old husband and father of two sons has thrived as a branding and social strategist, speaker, coach, consultant, and author, all under his Foster Thinking practice. His two books, Oatmeal v. Bacon: How to Differentiate in a Generic Worldand Human Bacon: A Man’s Guide to Creating an Awesome Personal Brand, introduced and unpacked his original concept: the world’s most interesting brands and people honestly embrace their unique, inherent allure and become irresistible––like bacon. Along with partner Emily Soccorsy, he is launching Root + River, a new hive of comprehensive branding expertise, rooted in organizing brands around their belief systems.
- What is unique about running a security startup?
- How about moving from a services/consulting company to a product company?
- What are some unique things investors are interested in when talking to security startups?
- Where are the best opportunities in the market for security startups?
- What advice do you have for those who may have an idea and want to create a security startup?
- What are some of the most exciting security startups in the industry right now and why?
- What advice do you have for enterprises looking at solution and considering (or not) a solution for a security startup?
- Here's what one top VC firm predicts will happen to tech startups in 2017 ==>
- Get to $1,000 first. ==> “The reality is that the default state of any company is failure and the #1 reason why it will likely fail is because there wasn’t enough money coming in the door.”
- Know these Numbers for your VC Meeting ==> These are solid for your team. For your side hustle. For your lifestyle business. These are basics. And remarkably, people don’t know these.
- How to start a company with no free time ==> #1 is essential - but take it further. Say no to anything that doesn’t advance your current focus. Be ruthless about crowding out distractions. #4 is key - something we tackle in straight talk, too. Stop asking for “help” and when someone offers to “help” first figure out if they can. #5 was my 2016 lesson.
- Stories about Stayups ==> “Surviving on someone else’s dime isn’t news. We believe businesses that have made it are the ones worth talking about.”
- INVESTMENT TERMSHEET: VALUATION ==> the more you know…
- Take a look inside the doctor's office of the future, created by a $2 billion startup that's shaking up healthcare
- A huge public pension fund faces an agonizing decision: Should it reinvest in tobacco?
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- FireEye, Inc.'s Biggest Failure in 2016
- Blink Launches Seecurity: A DIY Home Security Suite
- Hello, Unsplash, Inc. ==> great story with a lot of lessons
Bitglass Raised $45m
Bitglass, Inc. | bitglass.com
Bitglass develops a cloud security software that offers encryption, data protection and threat detection services
The Startup Journey: Updates
Michael's Journey: Straight Talk Framework
- Amazing 2016, looking forward to an even better 2017
- Understanding more about what Straight Talk does for both individuals and teams; I'm getting excited (and I use it, too!)
- Public cohort - with a focus on teams - launching next week; possibly the only public cohort of 2017
- Focusing on team approach
- Building some other elements, too - stay tuned, because our listeners will get a first crack when I roll the new stuff out
What I published recently
- Security leaders hindered by lack of automation to respond to incidents ==> a POV with survey results, good opportunity for areas of investment
- What the Florida ruling on passwords actually means for security leaders ==> things aren't always as they seem. Lots here to consider.
- Leadership and communication are actually layers, not levels --> it's important to recognize the difference between layers and levels. Embrace the layers and be amazed at what happens.
And I'm going to try out live video each Friday after this show. A chance to engage and talk about Straight Talk - or whatever you want.