- 1 Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
- 2 Interview: Archie Agarwal, ThreatModeler
- 3 Startup Stories
- 4 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5 The Startup Journey: Updates
Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
ITPro.TV Announcement: "Upcoming courses include Cybersecurity Analyst+, CCNA Cyber Ops, ITIL Operational Support and Analysis, Penetration testing, Networking+, Ethical Hacking v9. ITProTV is introducing a new membership level soon. All current Premium Members will be granted the highest membership level available, so sign up today! Visit itpro.tv/startupsecurity and use code SS30."
- InfoSecWorld - Your 10% off discount code to promote to your members is OS17-SW. This will give them 10% off the main conference or the World Pass.
- Get out and vote for your favorite security blogs and podcast! Security Weekly has been nominated for the 2017 RSA Social Security Awards Best Security Podcast, cast your vote today by visiting securityweekly.com/vote!
- Attend the InfoSecWorld conference on April 3-5 in Orlando Florida, tons of great talks and Security Weekly listeners get10% off by using the code OS17-SW. Find out more at infosecworld.misti.com
- Attend SOURCE Boston on April 24-27th for training and awesome talks! Use the code SECURITYWEEKLY for $100 off either a conference ticket or one of the trainings. Find out more at source conference.com
- Attend the Shaves That Saves event at RSA this year on Wed Feb 15 from 6pm-8pm and watch security industry folks shave their heads for charity! All Proceeds will benefit St. Baldrick’s Foundation, an organization supporting lifesaving children’s cancer research. Find out more by visiting the link in our wiki at wiki.securityweekly.com.
Interview: Archie Agarwal, ThreatModeler
Archie Agarwal is the Founder, CEO and Chief Technical Architect of ThreatModeler. He has leveraged his more than ten years of real-world experience in threat modeling and threat assessment to help numerous Fortune 1000 companies in setting up their threat modeling process. Archie has also created numerous threat models for web, mobile, cloud, IoT, SCADA, drone, aircraft, and various other systems and technologies for various companies. Through his experience, he has brought several innovative advancements to threat modeling field and is the principal author of the VAST threat modeling framework.
- What is unique about running a security startup?
- How about moving from a services/consulting company to a product company?
- What are some unique things investors are interested in when talking to security startups?
- Where are the best opportunities in the market for security startups?
- What advice do you have for those who may have an idea and want to create a security startup?
- What are some of the most exciting security startups in the industry right now and why?
- What advice do you have for enterprises looking at solution and considering (or not) a solution for a security startup?
- How to Recognize and Prevent Burnout in a Startup
- 5 IoT cybersecurity predictions for the coming year
- What Exactly Is Your Income Statement Telling You?
- 3 Tips to Help Entrepreneurs Make the Right Sacrifices
- Why do products fail? ==> note: it’s not about how awesome your tech is…
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
Microsoft Ventures backs Illusive Networks
Radware acquired Seculert
‘Seculert is a provider of SaaS cloud-based cyber threat protection against enterprise network breach and data exfiltration.’
- undisclosed amount; took on a total of $15.3M in funding (seed, A, B)
Everbridge acquired IDVsolutions
‘IDV is a provider of threat assessment and operational visualization software for business facilities, supply chain and operations.’
Telos raised an undisclosed amount
‘Telos is an Information Technology consulting company that offers cybersecurity solutions and services for risk management and information security.’
The Startup Journey: Updates
- Straight Talk: Simple Start launched
- Working now on better prospecting and sales - and welcome the help
- Schedule a chat with me and I'll share my 3 big ideas
What I published recently
- Security leaders that help startups get traction reap the rewards ==> building on a conversation thread in a previous interview