Recorded September 30, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Jeff Costlow, ExtraHop
Jeff is a security technologist and leader with over 20 years of deep experience securing information and technology assets as well as years of successful engineering leadership, delivering secure product deployments to thousands of customers. Jeff leads the ExtraHop team towards groundbreaking security and privacy services.
Organizations looking to embrace the speed and flexibility of the cloud need to shift gears in security as well, moving towards a cloud-first approach that combines complete visibility with behavioral- and- rule-based threat detection. Learn how the SOC Visibility Triad pairs network detection and response with endpoint detection and response and SIEM tools in order to help you strengthen your cloud security posture.
- Why New Leaders Should Make Decisions Slowly - 74% of new leaders say they are unprepared for the new role, and in 18 months nearly half of them disappoint or fail entirely. In many cases, leaders either judge too quickly, making snap decisions that prove to be ill advised, or wait interminably to “gather more facts,” only for the critical moment to slip away. Here are three strategies leaders can use to make decisions more effectively when they’re new to an organization
- Manage the urge to “do something” right away.
- Make sure you’re talking to a wide variety of sources.
- Select one critical area of focus for the year.
- The Missing Ingredient in Kraft Heinz’s Restructuring - There has been a company restructuring recipe that has worked for decades. Buy a company, trim the fat, then reinvest to facilitate growth, and make lots of money. But sometimes this recipe doesn’t work... Three lessons from Kraft Heinzs' restructuring:
- When Restructuring Kills Innovation
- Calming the Overheated Survive Channel
- Activating the Thrive Channel
- WHAT EINSTEIN’S MOST FAMOUS EQUATION SAYS ABOUT MAXIMIZING YOUR PRODUCTIVITY - Like Einstein’s equation, you have to balance time, energy, mass, and speed to stay maximally productive and happy.
- One-third of business doesn't recognize IT as a 'value-creator,' report finds - Mendix survey results of more than 1,000 business and IT stakeholders in medium- to large-sized companies globally:
- More than 60% of business stakeholders believe IT implements less than half of their ideas, widening the disconnect between the departments
- Half of IT respondents say their budgets are too limited to deliver "solutions at scale"
- 89% of stakeholders say IT plays a key role in business initiatives, but only 66% of business technology decision-makers "think of IT as a value-creator."
- Shift to digital business is booming, but are CEOs ignoring associated risk? - John Wheeler, senior director analyst at Gartner, while speaking at the FAIR Conference in National Harbor, Maryland last week, stated:
- Digital business is where CEOs want to move their companies, but they have to recognize, "if we're digital, it's not only huge risk, it's complex risk"
- About 82% of CEOs say they have some form of a management initiative or program in place for handling the digital business, according to Gartner. "What they don't get is associated risk."
- Developing a "risk-aware" culture means deciphering the difference between digital business risk and cyber risk
- Introduction to 5G: Your guide to fifth-generation wireless - Fifth-generation wireless (5G) is the latest iteration of cellular technology, engineered to greatly increase the speed and responsiveness of wireless networks. Anticipated 5G benefits include increased speeds, improved reliability and lower latency. 5G use cases include:
- Fixed wireless for better business connectivity
- Private 5G networks
- Expanded 5G coverage for rural areas