Recorded October 14, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Merlin Namuth
Merlin Namuth is a former CISO. Namuth has over 24 years of IT experience with the last 21 years focused in security. His experience includes building and running numerous security programs, program management, managing incident response teams, computer forensics, compliance, architecture, and engineering complex security solutions. Namuth serves on the cyber risk advisory board at Pepperdine University where he also guest lectures. Merlin serves on the Board of Directors at iEmpathize, a nonprofit organization focused on educating people about human trafficking. He has presented at several conferences, including RSA both domestically and internationally.
CISO Role and Experience
- The Two Big Reasons That Digital Transformations Fail - Digital Transformation is the future of business, which is why we've spent over $100B between 2016 and 2018. But the expected results fail to materialize. Why?
- Unspoken disagreement among top managers about goals
- A divide between the digital capabilities supporting the pilot and the capabilities available to support scaling it
- How to Know What to Prioritize at Work - 5 Strategies to Help You Focus on the Right Things:
- Choose your Tasks Proactively, Don’t Let Them Choose You
- Pick the Tasks that are Important, not just Urgent
- Choose the Tasks that are related to your GOALS
- Choose the tasks that make other things on your To-Do list OBSOLETE, FASTER or EASIER
- If you are still unsure what to focus on, pick the task that makes you the most UNCOMFORTABLE
- DevSecOps model requires security get out of its comfort zone - Three tips from a software developer turned security consultant:
- 'A light touch'
- Risk-based security strategy
- DevSecOps chops
- Adjust IT governance according to the business
- Business-driven quantitative risk measurement
- Business collaboration first; then, compliance comes naturally
- Meet the CIOs of today: Resumes vary while scope widens - The CIO's role depends on a company’s age, scale, industry and business-specific needs at any given time, but these are common traits for the new CIO role:
- The board and the CEO prioritize value creation rather than efficiency
- Technology leaders are members of the executive teams and collaborate with business
- Focus remains on speed and agility
- Gartner: How to succeed as a CIO with a non-IT background - Here are three ways a CIO from a non-IT background can lean on their strengths and close their knowledge gaps to succeed in the role:
- Learn your team's working life and assess the effectiveness of the IT operation
- Leverage your business experience
- Acquire a helicopter view of your enterprise IT architecture and a grounded view of the game-changer technologies