Recorded February 10, 2020 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Dr. Mike Lloyd, RedSeal
Dr. Mike Lloyd has more than 25 years of experience in the modeling and control of fast-moving, complex systems. He has been granted 21 patents on security, network assessment, and dynamic network control. Before joining RedSeal, Mike Lloyd was Chief Technology Officer at RouteScience Technologies (acquired by Avaya), where he pioneered self-optimizing networks. Mike served as principal architect at Cisco on the technology used to overlay MPLS VPN services across service provider backbones. He joined Cisco through the acquisition of Netsys Technologies, where he was the senior network modeling engineer.
Mike holds a degree in mathematics from Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, and a PhD in stochastic epidemic modeling from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
The Critical Role of Basic Cyber Hygiene
Doing simple things consistently and at scale is hard. Today's short staffing doesn't help. Automation is the answer.
- What are the security basics?
- How does this relate to hygiene?
- Should the basics cover things you should do, like patching or be more focused on defending against attacker techniques?
- What is the best way to prioritize defenses?
- What can we do to get folks more focused on configuration and less on patching/firewalls/AV?
- What is the most efficient way to get an accurate picture of IT assets and risk when you are a new CSO?
- 5 Things Successful People Dont Care About
- IBM Wants to Be the Next Microsoft. Its Starting With a New CEO.
- AppSec Concerns Drove 61% of Businesses to Change Applications
- Iranian hackers monitor hotels, travel industry to follow targets, expert warns
- 11KLeading Blog / 6d Saved by Jason Albuquerque
- It is an approach that says “yes to customer requests, rather than defaulting to an easy ‘no’ or one of the many synonyms for no.”
- Make it clear, from the first days of an employee’s tenure, that the way things are done around here is with customer-focused flexibility; that working here involves an ongoing attempt to maintain, in almost all situations, a default of yes.
- 28Forbes - Leadership / 5d Saved by Jason Albuquerque
- This is under the founders’ control, hence founders can and need to shape their company culture, and ultimately, build a great tribe of people who believe in the mission.
- As the company grows, everyone needs to understand the company mission, its core values and the operating environment (hopefully freedom and accountability) in order to be successful.
- Forbes - Leadership / 5d Saved by Jason Albuquerque
- Here are three exceptions: Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and Brookfield Asset Management CEO Bruce Flatt.
- In 2018, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos did something unique in his shareholder letter: he advised readers to expect business failures at Amazon.
- Great Leadership / 11d Saved by Jason Albuquerque
- When was the last time you saw a major planned project suffer from a cost overrun ?
- Use this phrase as your guide to prevent cost overruns and avoid falling prey to the dangerous judgment error of planning fallacy.
- 84Forbes - Leadership / 5d Saved by Jason Albuquerque
- On that note, I’ve put together a list of 11 books that will help you grow into the very best manager your team could ask for.
- You’ll be surprised at how activating your emotional intelligence can help you in every aspect of your role, from ensuring new hires are the right fit , to guiding your team through challenges, to maintaining a consistently healthy workplace culture.