- 1 Business Security Weekly Episode #173 - May 11, 2020
- 2 1. Interview - Lessons for Cybersecurity From a Pandemic - 03:00 PM-03:30 PM
- 3 2. News - 5 Tactical Steps, 5 CISO Priorities, and Communicating "Why" - 03:30 PM-04:00 PM
Business Security Weekly Episode #173 - May 11, 2020
Subscribe to all of our shows and mailing list by visiting: https://securityweekly.com/subscribe
1. Interview - Lessons for Cybersecurity From a Pandemic - 03:00 PM-03:30 PM
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - June 22nd-24th now a fully virtual event! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code!
- Join the Security Weekly Mailing List by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! We will be starting to roll out our public Discord channel in the next week or so and our mailing list subscribers will get the first invites!
The coronavirus has focused the world’s attention on disease spread like never before. This discussion will draw out some of the parallels that can inform how we do our work in cybersecurity, and that are helpful in communicating with the people who pay the bills. All the new vocabulary around “social distancing”, “contact tracing”, and “flattening the curve” is useful for our discussions in cybersecurity.
To learn more about RedSeal, visit: https://securityweekly.com/redseal
Mike Lloyd is CTO at RedSeal
Dr. Mike Lloyd has more than 25 years of experience in the modeling and control of fast-moving, complex systems. He has been granted 21 patents on security, network assessment, and dynamic network control. Before joining RedSeal, Mike Lloyd was Chief Technology Officer at RouteScience Technologies (acquired by Avaya), where he pioneered self-optimizing networks. Mike served as principal architect at Cisco on the technology used to overlay MPLS VPN services across service provider backbones. He joined Cisco through the acquisition of Netsys Technologies, where he was the senior network modeling engineer. Mike holds a degree in mathematics from Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, and a PhD in stochastic epidemic modeling from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Jason Albuquerque - CIO & CSO at Carousel Industries Matt Alderman - CEO at Security Weekly Paul Asadoorian - Founder & CTO at Security Weekly
2. News - 5 Tactical Steps, 5 CISO Priorities, and Communicating "Why" - 03:30 PM-04:00 PM
- We are looking for high-quality guest suggestions for all of our podcasts to fill our Q3 recording schedule! Submit your suggestions for guests by visiting securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We review suggestions monthly and will reach out to you once reviewed!
- Learn how penetration testing reduces risk in our next live webcast with Core Security (a Help Systems Company). Register for our upcoming webcasts or virtual trainings by visiting securityweekly.com/webcasts. You can also access our on-demand library of previously recorded webcasts/trainings by visiting securityweekly.com/ondemand.
In the leadership and communications section, Top 5 Tactical Steps for a New CISO, Good Leadership Is About Communicating “Why”, 5, ok maybe only 4, CISO Priorities During the COVID-19 Response, and more!
Jason Albuquerque's Content:
Matt Alderman's Content:
- Top 5 Tactical Steps for a New CISO - New to the role or changing organizations? Here's your top 5 tactical steps:
- Know the Business’s Operational Surfaces
- Know Your Business’s Assets
- Know Your Control Portfolio
- Know Your Resources
- Know Your ‘Must-Haves’ and Your ‘Nice-to-Haves’
- Former White House CIO talks cybersecurity risk mitigation - Are there ways CIOs can prepare for these kinds of cybersecurity threats? What are some cybersecurity risk mitigation strategies?
- Hold regular weekly or biweekly webinars where you talk to them about different safety tips, different things to be aware of that are both for their work life, but also their personal life
- Offer 'office hours' to make a security Genius Bar available and encourage people to join your security team on video conferences to address problems or concerns
- Make sure that you don't end up having employees storing your data out of regulatory compliance on thumb drives, portable hard drives and personal cloud instances
- Good Leadership Is About Communicating “Why” - In an ongoing crisis, clear communication is more important and more difficult than when things seem normal. But if we present without addressing our audience’s core questions of what, how, and why, we’ll sow more confusion than we bring clarity. But we must also start with why. Here are three strategies to help you get to the heart of the why in your next presentation:
- Ask some good what questions
- Follow up with because
- State alternate perspectives
- 5 CISO Priorities During the COVID-19 Response - Here are the five, ok maybe 4, CISO priorities to focus during the COVID-19 response:
- Secure remote users
- Identify risk as quickly as possible
- Work nimbly
- Stay vigilant and educate against new phishing techniques
- Key stories for IT leaders as companies navigate the pandemic - Here is a roundup of some of the most pertinent stories to emerge during the crisis:
- Worldwide IT spending expected to decline 5.1% in 2020 - Worldwide IT spending is now expected to decline 5.1% in constant currency terms during 2020 to $2.25 trillion. Here are some of the areas impacted:
- ICT spending, which includes telecom and business services, will decline by 3.4% this year
- Telecom only spending will down 0.8%
- However, IT infrastructure spending is still projected to grow overall by almost 4%