From Paul's Security Weekly
- 1 Business Security Weekly #69
- 2 Breakdown Segment: Curiosity is the key to getting answers
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Business Security Weekly #69
Recorded January 12, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- If you work in IT and want to have access to an awesome library of OnDemand training head on over to ITPro.TV/securityweekly! They are now accepting requests for demos of the IT Team solution that allows you and your co-workers to access over 3300 hours of training at any time! Use the code SecWeekly30 for the 7-day free trial and 30% off!
- Also check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand. Currently On-Demand we have webcasts with: Cybereason, Black Hills, Onapsis, Signal Sciences, and Stealthbits!
- Check out our DomainTools Webcast. Hosted by Paul Asadoorian, Michael Santarcangelo, and Taylor Wilkes-Pierce. The Webcast is called Pivoting Through Malicious Infrastructure. You can find out more and register for the webcast at securityweekly.com/domaintools!
- InfoSec World is March 19-21st of 2018. It is at Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Security Weekly subscribers can save 15% off the InfoSec World 2018 Main Conference or World Pass with the code OS18-SW! You can catch talks from Adrian Sanabria, Diana Kelley and Ed Moyle, Jennifer Manella, Joseph Zacharias, Mark Arnold, Matias Madou, and Summer Fowler. Good job!
Breakdown Segment: Curiosity is the key to getting answers
5 Questions to Straight Talk
- What problem are you trying to solve?
- What value does the solution create?
- What is the impact of the solution?
- How do you measure outcomes?
- Are we ready?
Curiosity is the key to getting answers
- Ask why five times to get to the root cause; it may require more iterations (or sometimes less)
- Try to avoid assumptions and logic traps
- Root cause is often a broken process or alterable behavior
- Avoid classic answers about time, money, resources, and the like
- Change to ‘how’ to focus on solutions
5 W’s (and how)
- Who, What, Where, When, Why
- Add how
- Always start with What
Clarifying and Pushing Back
- What problems are they trying to solve?
- What are they looking for?
- How do they see the solution?
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
How to Be More Productive Without Burning Out
- Missing the root cause: too much work
- Clarify focus, measure results
- Serial changes add up
- Do you have an accountability partner?
What It Takes to Become a Great Product Manager
- Core competencies
- Company fit
What Cybersecurity Chiefs Can Learn From Warren Buffett
- How well are your investments working?
- What do you have visibility into?
- It doesn’t have to be sexy to be good
- Can what you have do more?
The Importance of explaining “Why” before “What” when you need help
- People want to know why before what (in most cases)
- Why is a powerful word
- The bottom line: intentions and reasons matter
Getting The First 15% Right
- Think before you act
- The trick is to move before you’re ready, but not too soon or too late
- Consider the outcomes and work backwards
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
SolarWinds acquired LOGGLY (undisclosed)
- “Loggly develops cloud based log management and analytics platform that offers application debugging, deployment monitoring and alerting solutions”
- $47.4M raised over 6 rounds; last round was $11.5M in equity in June 2016
- “SolarWinds develops a network monitoring software that allows to detect, diagnose and resolve network performance issues.”
- Part of the Silver Lake Partners portfolio
- “Private equity investment firms Thoma Bravo and Silver Lake Partners transitioned SolarWinds from a public to a private entity in February 2016.”
‘* https://www.solarwinds.com/company/home —> “IT management software that works for you—and that delivers on our promise of unexpected simplicity.”
Verizon acquires Niddel
- “Niddel develops and provides machine-learning-based automated threat hunting solutions for IT environments.”
Cyxtera Technologies acquires Immunity (undisclosed)
Arctic Wolf raised $16M in Equity
- $50.5M over 4 (interesting) rounds
- “AWN is a Security-as-a-Service company that provides managed threat detection, cyber security, cloud monitoring and advisory services.”