- 1 Business Security Weekly #70
- 2 Interview: Jennifer Minella, Carolina Advanced Digital
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Business Security Weekly #70
Recorded January 19, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- If you work in IT and want to have access to an awesome library of OnDemand training head on over to ITPro.TV/securityweekly! They are now accepting requests for demos of the IT Team solution that allows you and your co-workers to access over 3300 hours of training at any time! Use the code SecWeekly30 for the 7-day free trial and 30% off!
- Also check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand. Currently On-Demand we have webcasts with: Cybereason, Black Hills, Onapsis, Signal Sciences, and Stealthbits!
- InfoSec World is March 19-21st of 2018. It is at Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Security Weekly subscribers can save 15% off the InfoSec World 2018 Main Conference or World Pass with the code OS18-SW! You can catch talks from Adrian Sanabria, Diana Kelley and Ed Moyle, Jennifer Minella, Joseph Zacharias, Mark Arnold, Matias Madou, and Summer Fowler.
Interview: Jennifer Minella, Carolina Advanced Digital
Jennifer Minella is VP of Engineering with Carolina Advanced Digital, Inc. In her engineering role, she leads strategic research and consulting for government, education, and Fortune 100 & 500 corporations. In addition to her normal roles, Jennifer (JJ) is a published author, consultant, and internationally-recognized speaker. Jennifer's also known for introducing mindfulness-based leadership to individuals and organizations in infosec. And aside from meditation and security, she's a competitive powerlifter and dancer. She also loves Figment, the imagination dragon.
5 Questions to Straight Talk
- What problem are you trying to solve?
- What value does the solution create?
- What is the impact of the solution?
- How do you measure outcomes?
- Are we ready?
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Starting a Transformation? Don’t Change Everything!
- Acknowledge (and accept) that change causes people to go a bit slower, at first
- Pay attention to processes - and where you can influence change
- Engage in the three types of candid conversations
How absolute zero (-based budgeting) can heat up growth
- Work past the initial fear
- Adopt the mindset
- Collaborate with others
3 Time Management Tips That Actually Work
- Stay on track (keep your focus)
- Prioritize and execute
- Reduce your scope, maintain your schedule
Want To Be A More Confident Speaker? Tell A Story
- It’s natural to use stories - don’t fear it
- Focus on the ‘shape’ of the story
- Relax and go with it
How to Let Go of the Need to Be Perfect
- Perfectionism creates fear which screws up decision-making
- Stop searching for your sense of value in others
- Mindset guides action
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
FireEye acquired X15 for $20M (and picked up $15M in equity)
- X15 Software is a big data management platform that allows users to monitor, search and analyze machine-generated data.
WatchGuard acquired StrongArm (undisclosed)
- We interviewed Todd O’Boyle on episode 65 (https://wiki.securityweekly.com/SSWEpisode65)
First Alert acquired luma
- $23M in funding over 3 rounds
- Luma designs and manufactures Wi-Fi routers for the household network. It also offers power cords, cables, and wireless routers.
- Plan was to raise as much as $2.1B
- Actual launch brought in $1.5B - which some consider a signal of a problem
- Could be about timing and uncertainty; look to the broader trend