From Paul's Security Weekly
- 1 Business Security Weekly #70
- 2 Interview: Jennifer Minella, Carolina Advanced Digital
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Business Security Weekly #70
Recorded January 19, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- If you work in IT and want to have access to an awesome library of OnDemand training head on over to ITPro.TV/securityweekly! They are now accepting requests for demos of the IT Team solution that allows you and your co-workers to access over 3300 hours of training at any time! Use the code SecWeekly30 for the 7-day free trial and 30% off!
- Also check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand. Currently On-Demand we have webcasts with: Cybereason, Black Hills, Onapsis, Signal Sciences, and Stealthbits!
- InfoSec World is March 19-21st of 2018. It is at Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Security Weekly subscribers can save 15% off the InfoSec World 2018 Main Conference or World Pass with the code OS18-SW! You can catch talks from Adrian Sanabria, Diana Kelley and Ed Moyle, Jennifer Minella, Joseph Zacharias, Mark Arnold, Matias Madou, and Summer Fowler.
Interview: Jennifer Minella, Carolina Advanced Digital
5 Questions to Straight Talk
- What problem are you trying to solve?
- What value does the solution create?
- What is the impact of the solution?
- How do you measure outcomes?
- Are we ready?
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Starting a Transformation? Don’t Change Everything!
- Acknowledge (and accept) that change causes people to go a bit slower, at first
- Pay attention to processes - and where you can influence change
- Engage in the three types of candid conversations
How absolute zero (-based budgeting) can heat up growth
- Work past the initial fear
- Adopt the mindset
- Collaborate with others
3 Time Management Tips That Actually Work
- Stay on track (keep your focus)
- Prioritize and execute
- Reduce your scope, maintain your schedule
Want To Be A More Confident Speaker? Tell A Story
- It’s natural to use stories - don’t fear it
- Focus on the ‘shape’ of the story
- Relax and go with it
How to Let Go of the Need to Be Perfect
- Perfectionism creates fear which screws up decision-making
- Stop searching for your sense of value in others
- Mindset guides action
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
FireEye acquired X15 for $20M (and picked up $15M in equity)
- X15 Software is a big data management platform that allows users to monitor, search and analyze machine-generated data.
WatchGuard acquired StrongArm (undisclosed)
- We interviewed Todd O’Boyle on episode 65 (https://wiki.securityweekly.com/SSWEpisode65)
First Alert acquired luma
- $23M in funding over 3 rounds
- Luma designs and manufactures Wi-Fi routers for the household network. It also offers power cords, cables, and wireless routers.
- Plan was to raise as much as $2.1B
- Actual launch brought in $1.5B - which some consider a signal of a problem
- Could be about timing and uncertainty; look to the broader trend