- 1 Business Security Weekly #71
- 2 Segment: Security Literacy in the Digital Age
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Business Security Weekly #71
Recorded January 26, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- InfoSec World is March 19-21st of 2018. It is at Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Security Weekly subscribers can save 15% off the InfoSec World 2018 Main Conference or World Pass with the code OS18-SW! You can catch talks from Adrian Sanabria, Diana Kelley and Ed Moyle, Jennifer Minella, Joseph Zacharias, Mark Arnold, Matias Madou, and Summer Fowler.
Segment: Security Literacy in the Digital Age
Michael and Doug discuss the increasing challenge for security and business leaders to develop the security literacy necessary in the digital age. They'll explore the problem, consequences, and talk about solutions.
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Opportunity, not Failure: The Real Reason Startups Decide to Pivot
- When most hit a problem, they solve it
- Pivots are more a function of recognizing and capitalizing on an opportunity
- Mindset matters: more positive than negative
- Focus less on failure (even failing fast) and consider the implications
- Who else is helping you set the tone?
How to Design an Addictive Product
- How are you using the power of intrinsic motivation (the seeking system)?
- Out with the old: drive-reduction theory
- No joke: monkey’s like puzzles; learning for the sake of learning?
- In with the new: intrinsic motivation (we create our own value… from within)
- Anticipation, imagination… and variable, intermittent rewards
Yearning For The Vast And Endless Sea
- What does your team yearn for?
- How will you guide them to that outcome?
How to Get Out of a Meeting You Know Will Waste Your Time
- Do you know which meetings are actually important to attend?
- Hint: overall strategic directions are almost always valuable (especially to align yourself and team)
- Don’t forget about the value of relationships
- Avoid “updates” like the plague (they are)
- Make it harder to invite you to meetings and encourage people to “win” your attention and time
These Are The Five Soft Skills Recruiters Want Most
- These are the skills that aren’t necessarily taught and harder, much harder, to acquire
- Problem solving. Hah.
- Time management
- The rub - its reported these are getting worse, not better
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
SheerID raised $18M Series B
- $31.3M in funding over 8 rounds since November 2011 - a lot of equity rounds
- “SheerID provides eligibility verifications for retailers and businesses focusing on target markets such as students, teachers and military personnel.”
Facebook acquired Confirm.io (undisclosed)
- Confirm.io develops a mobile-based identity authentication software that digitally verifies and validates government-issued identification cards.
- $4M seed round in July 2015
- https://www.confirm.io fitting the home page ’confirms’ the acquisition
- “However, in the meantime this means all of our current digital ID authentication software offerings will be wound down.”
Amazon acquired Sqrrl (undisclosed)
- $26.5M in funding over 4 rounds since August 2012; Series C of $12.3M in May 2017
- Sqrrl is an online cyber security platform that provides behavior analytics, threat hunting and incident investigation services.
- “For now, it is business as usual at Sqrrl. We will continue to work with customers to provide advanced threat hunting capabilities. And, over time, we’ll work with AWS to do even more on your behalf.”
Alphabet’s Cybersecurity Unit: Google X launches Chronicle
- This is the 13th Unit (for some reason I find that delicious)
- Plans to sell services to other companies, using data to improve speed and impact
- Two parts: intelligence and analytics and VirusTotal (malware intelligence acquired in 2012)
- Eating their own dog food?
Cisco acquired Skyport Systems (undisclosed)
- $67M in funding over ~ 3 rounds since June 2014; Series C of $30M in March 2016
- Skyport Systems develops enterprise security and hyper-secured infrastructure solutions for critical Information Technology and corporate assets.
- This is a HyperConverged Infrastructure play (HCI) - estimated to be $12.8B marketing by 2022 https://www.channele2e.com/news/cisco-betting-on-hyper-convergence-with-skyport-acquisition/
- “his acquisition will enable Cisco to utilize Skyport’s intellectual property, seasoned software and network expertise to accelerate priority areas across multiple Cisco portfolios. Cisco was also an investor in Skyport.”