From Paul's Security Weekly
- 1 Business Security Weekly #76
- 2 Interview: Shawn Tuma, Scheef & Stone, LLP
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Tracking Security Innovation
- 4.1 PhishMe Acquired for $400M - changes name to Cofense
- 4.2 Splunk acquires Phantom Cybersecurity for $350 million
- 4.3 CounterFlow AI raised $2.7M Seed
- 4.4 Coalition raised $10M Series A
- 4.5 CyberX raised $18M Series B
- 4.6 BugCrowd raised $26M Series C
- 4.7 Amazon to acquire Ring in deal reported worth $1B
Business Security Weekly #76
Recorded March 2, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Also check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand. Currently On-Demand we have webcasts with: Cybereason, Black Hills, Onapsis, Signal Sciences, and Stealthbits!
- Check out SOURCE Boston 2018 from May 9th - 10th! Go to sourceconference.com and register using the code SW89AEE2 to get a $100 discount!
- InfoSec World is March 19-21st of 2018. It is at Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Security Weekly subscribers can save 15% off the InfoSec World 2018 Main Conference or World Pass with the code OS18-SW!
- Security Weekly listeners save $100 off their registration for a full Conference Pass. Go to www.secureworldexpo.com and use the discount code SecurityWeekly, and join us at SecureWorld Boston!
Interview: Shawn Tuma, Scheef & Stone, LLP
Shawn devotes his practice exclusively to cybersecurity and data privacy law and views his role as helping businesses protect their information and protect themselves from their information. He represents a wide range of clients, from small to midsize companies to Fortune 100 companies, across the United States and globally in dealing with cybersecurity, data privacy, data breach and incident response, regulatory compliance, computer fraud related legal issues, and cyber-related litigation. He is frequently sought out and hired by other lawyers and law firms as a consulting expert to advise them when these issues arise in cases for their own clients.
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Almost 70% of US managers are scared to talk to their employees
- 69% found “communicating in general” the hardest part
- 67% of people report they are not engaged at work
- Only 13% report company leadership communicates effectively
How to Build Trust with Colleagues You Rarely See
- Swift trust - think about how to foster this early
- Passable trust - consider the role of social media
- Direct knowledge - what we learn about the people we work with
- Reflected knowledge - gaining new insights through perspective taking or experience
Two Simple Concepts to Free Up Innovation
- Push out of your comfort zone — into the “yikes zone”
- Where does it begin? How can you get there safely?
- The role of taking a ‘vacation’ - for the brain, or in reality
How to Avoid Death by Committee
- When the desire for collaboration and feedback derail you
- Use deadlines
- Iterate with feedback from experts
- Trust your team
Why Employees Leave Companies in 2018 [poll results]
- Money (or the perception of money)
- Opportunity for advancement
- Supportive management
- Flexible work
Tracking Security Innovation
PhishMe Acquired for $400M - changes name to Cofense
- $58M in funding over 3 rounds since 2012 ($197.8M valuation in 2016)
- We’re seeing this type of solution as a feature more than a product
Splunk acquires Phantom Cybersecurity for $350 million
- $22.7M over 3 rounds since 2015
- Orchestration as a feature? Or a way to combat the growth of other providers?
CounterFlow AI raised $2.7M Seed
- “CounterFlow provides a network of Artificial Intelligence based forensics platform for threat hunting.”
Coalition raised $10M Series A
- “Coalition is a provider of technology-enabled cyber insurance products for small and midsize businesses.”
- “The company’s insurance products are backed by Swiss Re, one of the world’s largest reinsurers, and Argo Insurance.”
CyberX raised $18M Series B
- “CyberX develops an IIoT security platform that provides insights into industrial malware, threats and critical vulnerabilities.”
- $29M over 3 rounds since 2014
- “In addition to continuing its expansion in the US and Europe, the company will use the additional funding to drive international growth and to expand its ICS product development, security research, and threat intelligence teams.”
BugCrowd raised $26M Series C
- “Bugcrowd is a crowdsourced security testing platform that allows businesses to connect, integrate and manage vulnerabilities.”
- $51.6M over three rounds since 2015
- Future - feature or platform?
Amazon to acquire Ring in deal reported worth $1B