- 1 Business Security Weekly #85
- 2 Interview: George Finney, Southern Methodist University
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Tracking Security Innovation
Business Security Weekly #85
Recorded May 14, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand.
- Ticket Sales are open for Social Engineering RI Conference. Saturday, June 6th at Salve Regina University in Newport RI. Go to - http://se-ri.org/ to register! Patrick Laverty will be joining us for an interview next week. Stay tuned to hear more about this conference!
Interview: George Finney, Southern Methodist University
Check out these insights from George:
- “Rather than attempting to create perfect security, let's instead think of ourselves as daring adventurers being driven by our imperfections.”
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Why People Really Quit Their Jobs
- ‘’They left when their job wasn’t enjoyable, their strengths weren’t being used, and they weren’t growing in their careers.’’
- Design the work; focus on people first
- ‘’enable them to do work they enjoy, help them play to their strengths, and carve a path for career development that accommodates personal priorities.’’
This Company Spent 300,000 Hours a Year in Pointless Meetings
- Time in meeting, time spent preparing, supporting… and handling results
- Think about what you accept
- Consider the time to prep
- Agendas and schedules (connect back to what you accept)
- Uninvite yourself… and protect your team
An Ode To The OKR - How To Motivate Greater Ambition In Teams
- OKR = objective and key result
- Shoot for 70% (what is success, anyway?)
- How do you shift your mindset?
- What is your goal… and quantified measure of success?
- Specific, hard goals set the stage for more success
Why You Need an Untouchable Day Every Week
- Makers versus managers; block the time you need for both
- Push too hard and things break (ode to Straight Talk and friction)
- Schedule the untouchable day WEEKS in advance; before anything else
- No deletion, but you can shift it
How Good Customer Experience Can Turn Bad, in the Swipe of a Credit Card
- What’s your backup when the system fails?
- We are less tolerant of poor experiences
- Treat your employees like customers - more engaged, productive, and loyal
- What about the systems our people use interacting with customers?
Tracking Security Innovation
Data Breaches Decline In Number
- Q1 2018 is a four-year low in terms of the number of breaches
- Only 1.4B records exposed, down from 3.4B last year - and 1.27B were the result of fraud
- Email phishing declined to 31 from 214 the year before
- Blip, trend, or something else?
- Criminals finding new trends?
The recently combined entity will provide a range of threat intelligence and mitigation services. Existing PhishLabs investor Alerion Ventures also participated in the round.
- $31.7M in funding over 4 rounds
Avast cuts proposed IPO range
- From 250-320 pence per share to 250-270
- Would still set record as largest-ever UK IPO
- Looking to sell 25% of stock to raise up to $200M; market cap of $2.5B pounds
SafeBreach raised $15M Series B
- ‘’SafeBreach develops a disruptive security platform that enables enterprises to execute breach scenarios and find issues in their network.’’
- $34M over 3 rounds, including a July 2016 series A of $15M
- Simulation and validation; does it help training?
Red Canary raised $6.3M in Equity
- $14.9M in funding over 3 rounds; Series A for $6.2M in July 2016
- Check out our interview with Brian Beyer on Episode 14 - https://wiki.securityweekly.com/SSW_Episode14