From Paul's Security Weekly
Recorded October 23, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020 and click the register button to register with our discount code!
- Attend RSA Conference 2020, February 24-28 and join thousands of security professionals, forward-thinking innovators and solution providers for five days of actionable learning, inspiring conversation and breakthrough ideas. Register before January 24 and save $900 on a Full Conference Pass. Save an extra $150 by going to securityweekly.com/rsac2020 and use our code to register!
- Our next webcast is February 13th with Sri Sundaralingam, Vice President, Product and Solutions Marketing at ExtraHop where we will discuss Cloud Native Network Detection and Response! Register for our upcoming webcasts by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
- ManageEngine launches holistic take on privileged access security
- Trend Micro Buys Cloud Conformity | FinSMEs
- Avast Faced A Security Breach Aiming At Messing Up Its CCleaner
- Bugcrowd Enters the IT Asset Discovery Business
- Recorded Futures Enhanced Partnership With ServiceNow Reduces Organizational Risk
- Sophos Cloud Optix Now Available on AWS Marketplace
- (2) New Messages!
Interview: Erich Anderson, ObserveIT
Previously, Mr. Anderson was responsible for running fusion, analytics, and mitigations at the FBI where his leadership, teams and platforms assisted numerous insider threat investigations, e-discovery requests and complex technical challenges on a regular basis. He is known to build effective insider threat programs and assisted in the creation of national policy and minimum standards for insider threat as directed via EO 13587 and was a founding member of the National Insider Threat Task Force.
Insider Threat (whistleblowers)
Plan to start with the foundational elements of an insider threat program
- Authorities, Processes, Staff and Operations
- This is commonly overlooked area for insider threat programs
- Explore the types of protections employees have in an organization
- There are very limited laws and regulations at the Federal level, more at the State level but still not enough
- Mention of some of the laws, no deep dive here
- Talk about potential processes for whistleblowers (from a program and individual point of view)
- Talk about retaliation
- Explore some movies that showcase Whistleblowers
Interview: Kevin O'Brien, GreatHorn
- Pen testers and phishing
- Social engineering and why user training isn't the answer
- In moments of stress, you should rely on your training, but perspective is lost in the moment of pressure
- What to look out for in an email (for the non-technical person)