From Paul's Security Weekly
Recorded December 11, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
- Booz Allen Hamilton announces support for AWS Outposts - Help Net Security
- Greenbone unveils new vulnerability management service platform for SMEs - Help Net Security
- Barracuda launches Cloud Security Guardian integration with Amazon Detective
- Sophos launches new cloud-based threat intelligence and analysis platform
- CyberGRX Completes $40M Series D Funding | FinSMEs
- Accenture Launches Cloud Native Solution to Help Clients Innovate New Products and Services Using the Public Cloud
- Cyberhaven raises $13 million, launches Data Behavior Analytics solution - Help Net Security
- Most enterprises hit cloud migration problems, still run apps on legacy operating systems - Help Net Security
- 10 Notable Cybersecurity Acquisitions of 2019, Part 2
- STEALTHbits launches Privileged Activity Manager with zero standing privilege architecture - Help Net Security
Interview: James Carder, LogRhythm
He holds an MBA from the University of Minnesota, is an Advisory Board member for Colorado University, the Identity Defined Security Alliance, and New Cloud Networks, and a member of the Forbes Technology Council.
Measuring and maturing security operations maturity
Overview of our security operations maturity model (SOMM), discussion around measurement and road-map to advancing your organization's maturity level. What are mature organizations measuring, who are they reporting that to, what key uses cases are on the roadmap, etc.
- SECURITY OPERATIONS MATURITY MODEL (SOMM)
- SOMM AND ZERO TRUST
- TRUE UNLIMITED DATA PLAN
- SECURITY PREDICTIONS
Interview: Jamie Butler, Elastic
Jamie was a computer scientist at the National Security Agency and co-authored the bestseller, "Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel." He is also a frequent speaker at security conferences and serves as a Review Board member for Black Hat.
Improving security requires reducing complexity
The vast majority of breaches are not launched by nation states or foreign militaries, but individuals and cyber crime groups with varying degrees of experience, often looking for weaknesses in enterprise systems or processes. One of the primary reasons these actors are successful is the complex web of technologies deployed across enterprise networks by defenders in the search for a security panacea that does not exist. This discussion will focus on ways an organization can reduce complexity and improve security efficiency and scale.