From Paul's Security Weekly
- 1 Episode Audio
- 2 Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
- 3 The Five Stories
- 4 Updates: Our Startup Journeys
- 5 Paul's Stories
Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
The Five Stories
Key bullet points and discussion items for each story; weaved together in a story arc
Each includes a discussion on the security considerations from each of the perspective(s):
- How does this relate to spotting a good startup to work with? This is on the heels of the story last week about the lackluster ‘crowdfunding’ rules for investing in startups
- “...everything we consider has at least one thing in common: It must actually exist, and you must be able to buy it right now.”
- How do you validate the team, or their performance - > and Michael has some recent experience interviewing and hiring people where what they claim and what they are capable of isn’t the same
- Felt a lot of parallels to considering kickstarter and evaluating startups
- It’s the enthusiasm and passion? Michael thinks that actually makes sense - so let’s explore why (and how)
- Does the sector matter? Apparently so.
- Note the time to build it - and that’s after extensive work in the business
- Betting it was a solid 100 hours
- Simple format - love that
- Note the changes - things she’d add. Mind you, it got the result she wanted
- Note the importance of systems
- Speed/iteration matters
- Think smaller, quicker, shorter -- and more focused. Then engage and figure it out
- it’s the customer.
- it starts with one. Maybe a few more.
- I’m going through it now. And damn. It’s awesome.
- But I also realized it’s more than that. And I’m changing my business as a result.
Updates: Our Startup Journeys
It’s a busy, but exciting time:
- Just launched a VIP Program (only
1513 spots) for the second cohort of the Straight Talk Leadership Experience --> this is perfect for startups trying to communicate value and security leaders working to knock down barriers.
- Offering a better way to apply Straight Talk to solve problems: Straight Talk: Applied
- About to put together a new series of free resources - I share some of the roadmap here: October Update: How I’m making it even easier to get Straight Talk you need