Start-Up Security Weekly - Business Level Consumers
Recorded: July 1st
Paul Asadoorian and Michael Santarcangelo
In this episode we talk about IoT, what questions should you be asking of your IoT-based startups? How does security play into building an IoT product? All those questions are answered and more!
Stories and Discussion
- https://hbr.org/2016/06/a-new-way-for-entrepreneurs-to-think-about-it —> IT as the product; note the mindset shift. Not all startups are tech startups. What does someone need to think about relative to security in this new mindset? Not all security is tech…
- https://mattermark.com/sales-rep-says-stop-selling-to-everyone/ —> this is reflected in the first 2 questions of straight talk (what problem, how tall). Don’t waste your time selling to someone who won’t buy.
On Leadership and Communication — highly relevant for startups
- http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/certain-management-practices-like-certain-technologies-boost-company-performance —> I’m able to do this with leadership; we can honor the unique, individual journey in the context of collective experience. No doubt we can do it for the business overall, too.
- http://www.forentrepreneurs.com/opportunity-slide/ —> sharp, with good examples.
Topics On Approach
- IoT keeps taking up cycles
- So let’s talk about key questions and approach for IoT.
Are the questions still:
what chipset (who made it, etc) how to update how protected
Once we affirm the questions — just three — then let’s explore how to ask and answer the question from each perspective. Find 1-2 key points to bring forth conversation that leads to understanding for each of our core audiences:
startup investor as a client — business as a client — consumer