Paul's Security Weekly - Episode 382 for Thursday July 31th, 2014
And now, from the dark corners of the Internet, where exploits run wild, packets aren’t the only things getting sniffed, and the beer flows steady its Paul’s Security Weekly!
- This segment is sponsored by Palo Alto Networks creators of THE next-generation firewalls, helping you enforce network security policies based on applications, users, and content. Visit them on the web at www.paloaltonetworks.com
- and by The SANS institute the most trusted source for computer security training, certification and research. visit www.sans.org to learn more
- and by Tenable Network Security, the creators of Nessus, the worlds best vulnerability scanner. Check out the new Nessus Enterprise and Nessus Enterprise cloud, engage your IT department in the vulnerability management process today!
- This segment is brought to you by http://www.blacksquirrel.io/ - Pentest Networks from Your Browser! Exploit the limits of network security through just a browser. Have a Chrome exploit in your toolkit? Good, but for the rest of us there's Black Squirrel. Visit blacksquirrel.io for more information.
"Now, fire up a packet capture, pour yourself a beer, and give the intern control of your botnet..."
"Here's your host, a man who got OMGMEAT stuck in his teeth, and only gave the pizza delivery girl a tip. Just the tip.", Paul Asadoorian!"
- Security Weekly Updates::
- SANS Las Vegas from October 26-27th will debut a new course titled "Embedded Device Security Assessments for the Rest of Us" which will teach students how to assess embedded systems of all varieties on pen tests and in your duties as a security professional. Register Here.
- Larry is teaching SEC617: Wireless Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing, and Defenses at SANS Las Vegas from October 20-25th.
- You can purchase Hack Naked T-Shirts online via http://shop.securityweekly.com get yours today!
- Attend the show live if you are in the RI area, check http://securityweekly.com/attend for details
- Three words to describe yourself
- If you were a serial killer, what would be your weapon of choice?
- If you wrote a book about yourself, what would the title be?
- In the popular game of Ass Grabby Grabby do you prefer to go first or second?
- If you could have dinner with one celebrity, who would it be?
Ten more questions to ask at random:
- If you had super powers, what would they be?
- A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?
- If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?
- Pick two celebrities to be your parents.
- What do you think about when you are alone in your car?
- What song best describes your life?
- If you were a Star Trek® [or Star Wars® ] character, which one would it be?
- If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?
- What is the record amount of time you have gone without a shower?
- What is the geekiest thing you've ever done/created/bought/said?
- If you could have 5 items fully stocked in your fridge at all times, what would they be?
- and by Onapsis the leading provider of solutions to protect ERP systems from cyber-attacks. Customers can secure their SAP and Oracle business-critical platforms from espionage, sabotage and financial fraud risks. Visit them on the web at http://www.onapsis.com/
- and by Pwnie Express - Check out the community edition and turn your Nexus 7 into a lean and mean pen testing machine. For all those hard to reach places, there's Pwnie Express, visit them on the web at pwnieexpress.com
- “Your cons are just an excuse to drink and party”
- Free Wi-Fi - but it'll cost you your privacy
- 3 security mistakes small companies make and how to avoid them
- "A Honeypot for home: Raspberry Pi
- General Availability for Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 5.0
- The Fundamental Insecurity of USB
- Another Potential Retail Mega Breach At Sandwich Chain Jimmy Johns
- Some Thoughts on Verizon DBIR
- Binwalk v2.0 Released!
- 31C3 CFP now open - [Larry] - Who cares? I do. Why? I'd love to go, and speaking is the way to guarantee it. The only problem is it is right after christmas and family. A guy can dream, can't he?
- Johnny Long might not make it to DEF CON. Quatar Air screwed up his flights by canceling and not rebooking - rebooking will cost $5K. Please follow @sehnaoui, as he has some ways in which we can let Quatar Air know our displeasure (politely) after they return from holiday.
- IoT Full of bugs - [Larry] - Umm, no shit? This will (hopefully) mean that new markets will open for pentesters, and there will be no shortage of work with more connected devices.
- RTL-SDR to sniff GSM tutorial - [Larry] - great tutorial on getting it all set up, for broadcast traffic - yes, traffic is encrypted. Also, Shannon Morse (and Darren Kitchen for those of you so inclined)…