Recorded October 31, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Philippe Courtot & Sumedh Thakar, Qualys - 6:00-6:30PM
Demonstrating a unique mix of technical vision, marketing and business acumen, Philippe Courtot has repeatedly built innovative companies into industry leaders. As CEO of Qualys, Philippe has worked with thousands of companies to improve their IT security and compliance postures. Philippe received the SC Magazine Editor’s Award in 2004 for bringing on demand technology to the network security industry and for co-founding the CSO Interchange to provide a forum for sharing information in the security industry. He was also named the 2011 CEO of the Year by SC Magazine Awards Europe.
Before joining Qualys, Philippe was the Chairman and CEO of Signio, an electronic payment start-up that he repositioned to become a significant e-commerce player. In February 2000, VeriSign acquired Signio for more than a billion dollars. Today, VeriSign’s payment division, based on the Signio technology, handles 30% of electronic transaction in the U.S., processing $100-million in daily sales. Prior to Signio, Philippe was President and CEO of Verity, where he re-engineered the company to become the leader in enterprise knowledge retrieval solutions. Under Philippe’s direction, the company completed its initial public offering in November 1995. Philippe also turned an unknown company of 12 people, cc:Mail, into the dominant e-mail platform provider, achieving a 40% market share while competing directly against IBM and Microsoft. Acknowledging the market leading position of cc:Mail and the significance of e-mail in corporate environments, Lotus acquired the company in 1991. In 1986, as CEO of Thomson CGR Medical, a medical imaging company, Philippe received the Benjamin Franklin award for his role in the creation of a nationwide advertising campaign promoting the life-saving benefits of mammography. Philippe served on the Board of Trustees for The Internet Society, an international non-profit organization that fosters global cooperation and coordination on the development of the Internet. French and Basque born, he holds a master’s degree in physics from the University of Paris, came to the US in 1981 and has lived in Silicon Valley since 1987.
A New Prescription for Security
Philippe Courtot, chairman and CEO of Qualys will examine the impact of today's complex and hyper-connected IT environments have on security and compliance. He will discuss why, in a world where everything connects, we need to regain the visibility we have lost, and why visibility is now the cornerstone of security. Simply put, it is difficult, if not impossible, to secure what we do not know or cannot see.
- Video: https://vimeo.com/349546310
- News: https://betanews.com/2019/07/29/qualys-asset-discovery-free/
As Chief Product Officer at Qualys, Sumedh oversees worldwide engineering, development and product management for the Qualys software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform and integrated suite of security and compliance applications. A core systems and database engineer, Sumedh started at Qualys in 2003, architecting and delivering Qualys’ PCI compliance platform to meet the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS) requirements. Today, more than 69 percent of ASVs and 50 percent of QSAs worldwide use Qualys PCI to perform PCI DSS certification.
A long time advocate of the SaaS model and cloud computing, Sumedh worked at Intacct, a cloud-based financial and accounting software provider, before working at Qualys. Previous to Intacct, Sumedh worked at Northwest Airlines to develop complex algorithms for yield and revenue management for their backend reservation system.
Sumedh is active in the PCI and security community working closely with the PCI Council on the development and enhancement of PCI DSS. He co-authored “PCI Compliance for Dummies,” an easy-to-read guide designed to educate merchant organizations about PCI. Sumedh has a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering with distinction from the University of Pune.
Security in the Cloud Era
- www. Qualys.com
- Introductions and backgrounds
- The State Of Vulnerability Management - Patching, automation, configuration, cloud.
- Vulnerability Scanning and Management in DevOps
Tech Segment: Sven Morgenroth, Netsparker - 6:30PM-7:00PM
Sven Morgenroth is a security researcher at Netsparker. He found filter bypasses for Chrome's XSS auditor and several web application firewalls. He likes to exploit vulnerabilities in creative ways and has hacked his smart TV without even leaving his bed. Sven writes about web application security and documents his research on the Netsparker blog.
Format String Vulnerabilities
Security Weekly RoundTable, Cyberwire - 7:30-8:30PM
Paul and Matt sit down with Dave Bittner from Cyberwire to discuss the state of security podcasts, the latest security trends, and the security community.