Secure Digital Life #30
Recorded September 12, 2017 in Rhode Island!
VLSM: The final insult
Talk about why subnetting happened and how supernetting came about. Network Segmentation and controlling broadcast domain size
Enumerate means to compute all the networks and broadcast addresses with a given mask.
Example Problem 1:
- Given the network 172.16.0.0 and the subnet mask 255.255.224.0, enumerate the network.
Example Problem 2:
- Given the network 188.8.131.52 /24, what is a better subnet mask that will allow for 4 networks? How many hosts will be allowed per network?
Example Problem 3:
- Given the network 184.108.40.206 /24, what is a subnet mask that will allow for 35 hosts per network? How many networks would be possible?
Example Problem 4:
- Given the network 220.127.116.11/28, are 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 in the same broadcast domain?
- Cisco Magic Number approach to subnetting
- Whole bunch of tools and things