Secure Digital Life #44
Recorded on December 5, 2017 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
Guide to Resume Writing
- Resume versus CV?
- What are the differences?
- How do I decide which to use?
- Always go with what the employers want!
- What makes a good resume?
- Be clear
- Be consistent
- Be concise
- Entry Level vs. Senior Level
- 10-12pt font
- NO funky font styles
- PDF & TXT format (Don’t send Word unless required)
- REMOVE REVIEW FROM DOCUMENTS BEFORE YOU PDF THEM
- Remember text boxes are sometimes used
- Professional statement
- This is a one-sentence statement of who you are and what you are looking for in
- Summary of qualifications
- Bulleted list of what qualifications you have that make you an ideal candidate for
- Making sure you are addressing all requirements in job description
- Areas of expertise
- Degrees, certs, and skills that you have obtained
- Professional experience
- List Previous jobs
- Role/Position Title
- From/To dates (mm/yyyy format)
- Once sentence description
- List of “x” responsibilities / accomplishments (talk about “x”) with as
much quantitative data as possible
- Only go back as far as you need to (for most people, this would include only jobs
you have held that relate to the one you are applying for—for example, if applying for an IT position, only list previous IT-related positions, unless other positions have provided you with skills important to the position you are applying for)
- What happens if you have gaps in employment?
- Presentations/Publications - Community Work/Volunteer Work
- Be careful what you put here
- Don’t piss other people off
- References (if required)
- ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR REFERENCES IN ADVANCE TO LET THEM KNOW/ASK
- References available upon request
- No personal information (age-DOB included/health/race/marital status/children) - Contact Info:
- Mailing Address?
- PO Box
- Address provided upon request
- VALID, CURRENT, Professional email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Phone Number
- Yes, and remember to answer the phone PROFESSIONALLY
- Google Phone
- Some other Free Service for a special phone number
- What do I do when I’m done?
- REVIEW IT MULTIPLE TIMES
- Check for spelling/grammatical issues
- Have additional people review