- 1 Episode Audio
- 2 Interview: Kevin O'Brien, GreatHorn
- 3 Startup Stories
- 4 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5 The Startup Journey: Updates
Interview: Kevin O'Brien, GreatHorn
Kevin is GreatHorn's CEO and Co-Founder. With a background in the cybersecurity industry that began in the late 1990s with the seminal security firm @stake (now Symantec), Kevin has held multiple senior executive roles in Boston-area startups, and is a frequent speaker and author within the security sector. He holds a BA from the University of Massachusetts in Philosophy.
- What is unique about running a security startup?
- How about moving from a services/consulting company to a product company?
- What are some unique things investors are interested in when talking to security startups?
- Where are the best opportunities in the market for security startups?
- What advice do you have for those who may have an idea and want to create a security startup?
- What are some of the most exciting security startups in the industry right now and why?
- What advice do you have for enterprises looking at solution and considering (or not) a solution for a security startup?
- Startup Not Scaling? Maybe It’s Your Technology
- Six Ways Marketing Can Shrink the Sales Cycle
- 5 Startup Challenges Most Entrepreneurs Don’t Anticipate
- What to Know About Raising Seed Funding
- USE THIS STRATEGY TO PINPOINT AND OUTSMART YOUR COMPETITORS
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
Optiv acquired Comm Solutions (undisclosed)
- ‘’Comm Solutions is a provider of enterprise-level security and networking technology, services and solutions.’’
- Looks like a play to expand footprint and existing customer base
Bayshore raised $4.4M in a Series A round
- Bayshore Networks is a provider of cyber protection for industrial control systems, industrial applications, networks, machines and workers.
- It’s listed as a second series A
Why Your M&A Deals Should Be Bigger and Bolder
- This is a nod to the corporate buy-side, as well as the startups in the growth stage, looking to acquire other startups
- 'The best big companies of the past 15 years do larger deals than their competitors; the trick is to find a way to communicate objectively about growth strategy and the targets that will advance it'
- Note the importance on communication; then skip down to what Michael realized this week about his work...
The Startup Journey: Updates
- tightening focus, and it's exciting
- it's all about value prop (it's like coming home)
- it's about translation; and that's where the massive friction sets in
What I published recently
- Got cyber insurance? Share your thoughts to lead security change ==> As we kick off the next leading security change, I want to know what you think
- Shift your perspective on cybercrime to realize how well you’re doing ==> Absolute numbers often suggest a serious impact that demands attention. When we learn to shift our perspective, however, sometimes we find a far better story than we expected.
- How security leaders can resolve the tension of a mandate without authority ==> Brandon Hoffman shares insights and experience on how to approach security to get results with less conflict