- 1 Startup Security Weekly - Episode 37
- 2 Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
- 3 Startup Articles & Discussion
- 4 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5 The Startup Journey: Updates
Startup Security Weekly - Episode 37
Featured Interview/Opening Discussion
Interview: Mike Simon, Cryponite NXT
Mike Simon is an entrepreneur that enjoys the opportunity to build a team, technological solutions and value for all stakeholders. He started his career after receiving a BSEE from the University of Maryland in College Park. He is an accomplished technical and business leader in emerging technology companies with over 20 years of experience. Mike has been part of four previous pre-IPO companies, two as an individual contributor and two as a co-founder. All four had successful exits and returned substantial ROI for investors. He is most excited about his current role with Cryptonite, which provides a disruptive solution in the Cyber space that could have a dramatic impact on Cyber criminals ability to operate within commercial and Government networks.
- What is unique about running a security startup?
- How about moving from a services/consulting company to a product company?
- What are some unique things investors are interested in when talking to security startups?
- Where are the best opportunities in the market for security startups?
- What advice do you have for those who may have an idea and want to create a security startup?
- What are some of the most exciting security startups in the industry right now and why?
- What advice do you have for enterprises looking at solution and considering (or not) a solution for a security startup?
Startup Articles & Discussion
- The 10X Rule: Drive Maximum Performance in Your Business ==>
- 4 SOCIAL MARKETING STRATEGIES WITH THE HIGHEST ROI FOR START-UPS ==> Does this hold true for Security Startups?
- Just Finish It ==> ‘’But, for both hardware and software, the lack of focus on finishing is toxic.’’
- Pivot Survival Tactics from Kabam's 3 Near-Death Triumphs ==> ‘’It's a true pivot when you have to completely change one of those four things. And your decision to pivot should only be triggered when you see one of these columns crumbling, says Chou.’’
- 6 Reasons Your Small Business Will Fail (And How to Avoid Them) ==>
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
How Well Do You Know the Language of Startups?
K2 Intelligence picked up $7.5M in Debt Funding
- ‘’K2 Intelligence is a provider of investigative, compliance and cyber defense consulting services.’’
How McAfee’s CEO Is Securing Its Future
- http://fortune.com/2017/04/27/mcafee-ceo-chris-young-computer-cybersecurity-software-future/ —> with video interview
- Note the focus on… focus
- Product, team, talent, and growth (organic and inorganic)
Exinda acquired by GFI (undisclosed amount)
- ‘’Exinda is a provider of wide area network optimization and bandwidth management solutions to enterprises, educators and service providers.’’
- $29M in funding over 10 years
- “What problem do they solve?”
- and now we get to watch the ‘impact’ of integration (this is a cornerstone of the Straight Talk on Value Prop approach)
The Startup Journey: Updates
- Straight Talk on Value Prop audit
- Working on a Straight Talk on Value Prop resource; it's not just for vendors
- Webinars and conference appearances coming up
I figured out we do three things and re-wrote the elevator/C-level pitch:
- We find bad "things"
- We provide visibility into your network beyond security
- We increase the value of your other technology investments