- 1 Episode Audio
- 2 Hosts
- 3 Interview: Matt Alderman
- 4 Startup Articles & Discussion
- 5 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5.1 Honeywell launches $100 million venture fund
- 5.2 2017 VC Market: U.S. Startup Investment Picks Up In Q1
- 5.3 Cybersecurity startups will be funded at slower pace and lower valuations than last year
- 5.4 RiskRecon raised $12M Series A
- 5.5 CounterTack raised $20M Series D
- 5.6 10 Big Takeaways From Mary Meeker’s Widely-Read Internet Report
- 6 The Startup Journey: Updates
Recorded on June 2, 2017
Interview: Matt Alderman
Matt is the former VP of Strategy for Tenable where hew was responsible for developing strategies to enter new markets, develop new products and improve existing products, including the new Tenable.io platform. Prior to Tenable, he ran product strategy for RSA Archer architecting big data approaches to GRC and redefining messaging. He was Director of Product Management at Qualys where he and co-author Jason Creech wrote “IT Policy Compliance for Dummies”. He was Founder and Chief Technology Officer at ControlPath where he and co-auther Sean Molloy were issued US Patent 7,788,150: Method for assessing risk in a business.
Startup Articles & Discussion
- Here's Why You Should Think Twice About Listening to Business Gurus ==> ‘’There's no one-size-fits-all approach to innovation.’’
- A tech investor analysed his 5000 monthly emails and explained how startups can stand out
- Don’t Build a Startup, Build a Business.
- Can Google’s 20% time really work for your startup?
- These VCs Are Pulling Out Their Checkbooks for 1 Hard-to-Fake Startup Signal ==> note the use of friction; friction erodes value and slows you down. As a startup, friction is a killer.
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
Honeywell launches $100 million venture fund
- ‘’Honeywell joins construction and mining equipment maker Caterpillar Inc, Scotch tape and Post-it notes maker 3M Co and Boeing Co in setting up a venture capital fund that invests in start-ups across the world.’’
- Looks like a focus on technology in aerospace applications
- What are the security implications and opportunities here?
2017 VC Market: U.S. Startup Investment Picks Up In Q1
- ‘’A preliminary analysis of Crunchbase data shows that funding for U.S. startups ticked up in the first quarter of this year, with investment holding up at historically high levels across all stages.’’
- ‘’The latest projected quarterly numbers indicate that the much-talked-about slowdown in funding hasn’t played out as many were predicting. U.S. venture investment showed a marked decline in the fourth quarter, but it appears the downward trajectory has at least temporarily reversed course.’’
Cybersecurity startups will be funded at slower pace and lower valuations than last year
- Does this article identify the right 2 challenges? Discuss.
- Aside: stop calling it a ‘people problem’ - it makes you sound stupid
- ‘’Furthermore, while customers were adopting next-gen security technology, it was not happening as rapidly as everyone had anticipated.’’
- ‘’The rest of 2017 will likely reveal more companies running into trouble.’’
- Don’t buy the hype or this analysis.
RiskRecon raised $12M Series A
- ‘’RiskRecon is a Software-as-a-Service platform that provides vendor risk management and cyber security solutions for organizations.’’
- Total raise of $15M+ since April 2016
- This is a growing space worth keeping an eye on
CounterTack raised $20M Series D
- ‘’CounterTack provides real-time endpoint threat detection and response solutions for enterprises and government organizations.’’
- $98M in funding
10 Big Takeaways From Mary Meeker’s Widely-Read Internet Report
- full report: http://www.kpcb.com/internet-trends
The Startup Journey: Updates
- more focus, more drive
Published this week
- Why security leaders need to partner with their insurance companies ==> find out from an insurance underwriter how it really works — and how you can make it better