- 1 Episode Audio
- 2 Interview: James Jardine, Jardine Software Inc.
- 3 Startup Articles & Discussion
- 4 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 4.1 New $100 Million Fund Backs Cloudflare-Related Startups
- 4.2 Trend Micro launches $100M fund
- 4.3 Palo Alto Networks forms a $20M Venture Fund
- 4.4 Upstream raised $2M
- 4.5 Auth0 raises $30 million
- 4.6 sumologic raised $75M in Series F
- 4.7 Symantec acquired Fireglass (undisclosed amount)
- 4.8 Zscaler to hire banks for IPO - sources
- 5 The Startup Journey: Updates
Recorded June 23, 2017 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
Interview: James Jardine, Jardine Software Inc.
James Jardine is the CEO of Jardine Software Inc. He started is career as a developer, working on all types of interesting projects. James has spent the last 8 years focusing on application security. His over 15 years of combined experience provides a unique insight into both development and security for applications. James has presented and trained at Derbycon, Blackhat, Infosecworld, Hacker Halted and many others. He was previously an author and instructor at the SANS Institute where he taught the Secure Coding in .Net course.
Startup Articles & Discussion
- Don't Play with Dead Snakes — Kill Projects Before They Kill You ==> balance bias for action with knowing when to drop it like it’s hot
- Intellectual Property 101: What Your Business Needs To Know About Copyright Law ==>
- The Uber-Waymo Lawsuit: It Should Be Easy to Poach Talent, But Not IP ==>
- 17 Examples of Fabulous Explainer Videos ==>
- Invisible unicorns: 35 big companies that started with little or no money ==>
- The Hells of Being a Founder ==>
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
New $100 Million Fund Backs Cloudflare-Related Startups
Trend Micro launches $100M fund
Palo Alto Networks forms a $20M Venture Fund
- “* $20 million security venture fund expects to collaborate with Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital”
- “Fund will be aimed at seed-, early- and growth-stage security companies with a cloud-based application approach”
Upstream raised $2M
- “Upstream is a cyber security platform that uses big data and machine learning technology to provide security alerts for the automotive industry.”
Auth0 raises $30 million
- “Auth0 develops and operates an authentication platform that allows developers to implement identity solutions for their applications.”
- $56.7M in funding
sumologic raised $75M in Series F
- $235.6M in funding since 2010, including 2 large growth round investments
Symantec acquired Fireglass (undisclosed amount)
- “Fireglass is a provider of agentless isolation solution that detects and eliminates ransomware, malware and other phishing threats in real-time.”
- Looks like $20M in funding - but that’s an odd Series A, so the data might not be complete
- Evidence that large companies purchase the innovation that works?
- What does this signal for unicorns competing against large, embedded companies?
Zscaler to hire banks for IPO - sources
- “Zscaler is a cloud-based information security firm that offers web security, automated threat forensics and malware protection services.”
- Funding information is off by a bit… so over $148M