- 1 Episode Audio
- 2 Announcements
- 3 Interview: William Lin, Trident Capital Cybersecurity
- 4 Startup Stories
- 5 Startup & Security Notes of Interest
- 5.1 Security Startup StackPath Buys Again
- 5.2 Trident Capital spins out cybersecurity-focused firm and launches $300 million fund
- 5.3 Five Reasons VCs Are Bullish About This Year's Outlook for Startups
- 5.4 Security chatbot startup Demisto raises $20 million
- 5.5 Cloud security startup Evident.io raises $22 million led by GV
- 5.6 Convercent raises $10 million to help companies with compliance issues
- 5.7 VC Firms Back Record Number of Cybersecurity Startups in 2016
- 6 The Startup Journey: Updates
ITPro.TV Announcement: "Upcoming courses include Cybersecurity Analyst+, CCNA Cyber Ops, ITIL Operational Support and Analysis, Penetration testing, Networking+, Ethical Hacking v9. ITProTV is introducing a new membership level soon. All current Premium Members will be granted the highest membership level available, so sign up today! Visit itpro.tv/startupsecurity and use code SS30."
- InfoSecWorld - Your 10% off discount code to promote to your members is OS17-SW. This will give them 10% off the main conference or the World Pass.
- Get out and vote for your favorite security blogs and podcast! Security Weekly has been nominated for the 2017 RSA Social Security Awards Best Security Podcast, cast your vote today by visiting securityweekly.com/vote!
- Attend the InfoSecWorld conference on April 3-5 in Orlando Florida, tons of great talks and Security Weekly listeners get10% off by using the code OS17-SW. Find out more at infosecworld.misti.com
- Attend SOURCE Boston on April 24-27th for training and awesome talks! Use the code SECURITYWEEKLY for $100 off either a conference ticket or one of the trainings. Find out more at source conference.com
- Attend the Shaves That Saves event at RSA this year on Wed Feb 15 from 6pm-8pm and watch security industry folks shave their heads for charity! All Proceeds will benefit St. Baldrick’s Foundation, an organization supporting lifesaving children’s cancer research. Find out more by visiting the link in our wiki at wiki.securityweekly.com.
Interview: William Lin, Trident Capital Cybersecurity
Will Lin is a Vice President at Trident Capital Cybersecurity. Will has worked with and deployed more than $60 million across 10 cybersecurity companies to date. He is a board observer for 4iQ, Bayshore Networks and ID Experts.
Cybersecurity-Focused Fundraising (How, Why, What):
- How does a VC think
- Art of Early Stage Investing
- How do you find companies and decide to make investments
- What is different from seed, early stage and late stage
- Difference from Engineer & Entrepreneur
- What is unique about running a security startup?
- How about moving from a services/consulting company to a product company?
- What are some unique things investors are interested in when talking to security startups?
- Where are the best opportunities in the market for security startups?
- What advice do you have for those who may have an idea and want to create a security startup?
- What are some of the most exciting security startups in the industry right now and why?
- What advice do you have for enterprises looking at solution and considering (or not) a solution for a security startup?
- 12 KPIs you must know before pitching your startup
- A startup founder worth $15 million explains why entrepreneurs should think like farmers, not suits
- Your Customers Don’t Care About Your Product: They Care About Progress
- FUNNELS FOR STARTUPS: A PRIMER ==> generic doesn’t work; this is the part everyone pretends is easy - but it takes a lot of work, and a lot of calls/steps to dial it in. Once you do…
- Why You Need to Cross Half Your Prospects Off Your List
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
It's getting busy. I have this many already lined up for next week's show, too. Be sure to join us to see what else is happening in the world of startup security.
Security Startup StackPath Buys Again
- ‘The latest acquisition is Highwinds, a content delivery network (CDN) specialist, purchased for an undisclosed amount.’
- ‘StackPath has nearly $180 million in funding, $150 million of which comes from Boston-based private equity company ABRY Partners.’
Trident Capital spins out cybersecurity-focused firm and launches $300 million fund
- ‘The San Mateo, Calif.-based VC firm will be investing in security startups across five sectors, namely Internet of Things (IoT), secure payments and fraud, next-generation identity platforms, behavioral analytics, and privacy and security.’
Five Reasons VCs Are Bullish About This Year's Outlook for Startups
- ‘After a rough patch for startups, investors now see hopeful signs.’
Security chatbot startup Demisto raises $20 million
- ‘Demisto is a security operations platform that enables users to search for artifacts, comments, incident meta-data and simulate scenarios.’
- ‘ClearSky led the round, and its managing director, Jay Leek, will be joining Demisto’s board of directors. Accel and the Slack Fund also participated, raising Demisto’s total funding to $26 million. The new funds will be used to expand operations, accelerate product innovation, and ramp up sales and marketing.’
Cloud security startup Evident.io raises $22 million led by GV
- Evident.io provides cloud infrastructure security services that enable companies to automate key security processes and compliance reporting.
Convercent raises $10 million to help companies with compliance issues
VC Firms Back Record Number of Cybersecurity Startups in 2016
- ‘VC firms invested $3.1 billion in a record 279 cybersecurity startups in 2016, according to research firm CB Insights. That compares to $3.7 billion in 272 startups the year before and $833 million in 117 in 2010.’
- Trident Capital
- Allegis Capital
- TenEleven Ventures
The Startup Journey: Updates
- 3 big ideas
- The opposite of Straight Talk
- Getting your security project unstuck
What I published recently
- Security leaders need to stop limiting themselves ==> Ed Snodgrass shares his experience in building relationships necessary to get engaged at all levels of the business in a way that improves security