From Paul's Security Weekly
Recorded November 11, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020 and click the register button to register with our discount code!
- Attend RSA Conference 2020, February 24-28 and join thousands of security professionals, forward-thinking innovators and solution providers for five days of actionable learning, inspiring conversation and breakthrough ideas. Register before January 24 and save $900 on a Full Conference Pass. Save an extra $150 by going to securityweekly.com/rsac2020 and use our code to register!
- Our next webcast is February 13th with Sri Sundaralingam, Vice President, Product and Solutions Marketing at ExtraHop where we will discuss Cloud Native Network Detection and Response! Register for our upcoming webcasts by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Brendon Macareg, Signal Sciences
Developing an Effective AppSec Security Program
Focus on the people, processes and tools a dev team needs to put an effective security program in place. Discuss how to improve listener's current program and tooling to develop, release secure code and proactively protect their apps in prod. Four potential key tactics or areas to cover:
- Prioritize visibility into the most critical attack types
- Develop appsec metrics and KPIs
- Methods to prompt safe coding by default
- How to be your org's security champion
- 5 questions with Cisco's CISO - There is no easy answer for securing a global workforce of 75,000+ employees, including Cisco. Steve Martino, SVP and CISO at Cisco, discusses how to protect a distributed remote workforce without compromising the integrity of a secure network. The interview focuses around 5 questions:
- What kind of pressure is Cisco facing with securing products and working with cross-company teams?
- How do you prepare an organization for the inevitable — that bad events are going to happen? How do you insure against that with different stakeholders, whether that's customers, shareholders or even just internal business units?
- How did your security strategy at Cisco take shape and what were your priorities when you started? How have they evolved over time?
- What was the process of implementing technology to make remote work viable? What was the timeline? And what were the perceived vs. real risks you dealt with implementing it across such a large workforce?
- What keeps you up at night in terms of security and threats, and how do you see those evolving?
- The CIO role, from IT operator to business strategist - The CIO position has changed dramatically since its inception 40 years ago. This in-depth review traces the job's evolution and explains what is required of the CIO role today, including:
- CIO role in driving digital transformation today
- Qualities of high-performing CIOs
- How does the CIO role differ from other technology roles in the C-suite?
- What's next for the CIO?
- Less than one-quarter of companies are innovation leaders, report says - Less than one-quarter of organizations "qualify" as innovation leaders, according to a Harvard Business Review Services survey of more than 1,000 executives across industries 1,000 international consumers.
- Making the case for integrated risk management - Security experts discuss how an integrated approach to risk and governance can be effectively managed
- Gartner: The time is right to make IT a boardroom issue - In many businesses, IT is regarded as an internal service provider and cost centre. Gartner says now is the best time for CIOs to make IT strategic
- Gartner's strategic tech trends for 2020: Part 1, augmenting skills - Here are the "people-centric" advancements IT decisions makers need to follow:
- Human augmentation
- Transparency and traceability
- Gartner's strategic tech trends for 2020: Part 2, computing moves to the edge - Here are the advancements in technology IT decision makers need to watch out for:
- Empowered edge
- Distributed cloud
- Autonomous things
- Practical blockchain
- AI security