Difference between revisions of "BSWEpisode153"
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
== Episode Audio ==
== Episode Audio ==
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
== Hosts ==
== Hosts ==
Latest revision as of 15:45, 2 December 2019
Recorded November 25, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Nate Fick, Elastic Security
Nate Fick is the GM of Elastic Security and former CEO of Endgame. He is also an Operating Partner at Bessemer Venture Partners. Before joining Endgame, Nate was CEO of the Center for a New American Security. He led Marine Corps infantry and reconnaissance units in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. His book about that experience, One Bullet Away, was a New York Times bestseller, a Washington Post "Best Book of the Year," and one of the Military Times' "Best Military Books of the Decade.”
Elastic Security update + Organizational cybersecurity
Earlier this month, Elastic announced a radical change to how endpoint protection is offered, doing away with per-endpoint pricing. We'd like to spend 5-10 mins talking about why, and the remainder of the show talking about a topic Nate has talked and written about extensively: organizational cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity has historically been perceived as an enigma—a world of hackers lurking in the shadows—which reinforces the idea that the only way to stop them is with highly trained security experts at large enterprises with multi-million dollar budgets.
That needs to change on three main fronts to solve modern cybersecurity challenges:
- Ease of Use: Make cyber accessible to newcomers to train experts faster
- Transparency: Help customers understand how cyber solutions work and how they perform in different scenarios so they can make the right choice for their needs
- Innovation: Share information and data to help cyber companies innovate better solutions
- Maersk CISO on NotPetya recovery, workforce harmony and what makes a security chief - The shipping giant tapped Andy Powell a year after it was hit by NotPetya. In the 18 months since, Powell increased its security organization from 28 people to about 150.
- Why Business Leaders Need to Understand Their Algorithms - One of the biggest sources of anxiety about AI is not that it will turn against us, but that we simply cannot understand how it works.
- Why Constraints Are Good for Innovation - Recent surveys show that managers tend to consider compliance restrictions and a lack of resources as the main obstacles to innovation. And research shows that individuals, teams, and organizations alike benefit from a healthy dose of constraints. It is only when the constraints become too high that they stifle creativity and innovation.
- How to Do a Digital Detox: 3 Easy Steps for Success - How to know if a digital detox is right for you? Here's 3 easy steps:
- What do you want to detox from?
- Fill the Void
- Commit Loudly
- How Remote Workers Make Work Friends - Research has shown that when employees have friends at work they are better performers, more engaged, and happier with their jobs. But what about remote workers? For remote workers, they need cadence with a coworker to understand who that person is and can predict how they will interact with them.
- 5 charts to understand the tech job market - Here are five trends to understand the current state of the tech job market:
- Soft skills are of interest, but tech chops still on top
- Software developer jobs are highest in demand
- Managers want SQL, Java and Python, but cloud is spreading like fire
- Technologies and methodologies shaping the future of cloud computing
- Silver lining: Half of teens are considering careers in technology