- 1 Business Security Weekly #79
- 2 Interview: Dan Wheatley, StraightTalk
- 3 Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
- 4 Tracking Security Innovation
Business Security Weekly #79
Recorded March 23, 2018 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Check out our On-Demand material! Some of our previously recorded webcasts are now available On-Demand at: securityweekly.com/ondemand. New webcast with LogRhythm called Getting Started With Threat Hunting Basics.
- Check out SOURCE Boston 2018 from May 9th - 10th! Go to sourceconference.com and register using the code SW75WMKW to get a $75 discount!
- Social Engineering Rhode Island 2018 - Ticket Sales are open for Social Engineering RI Conference. Saturday, June 6th at Salve Regina University in Newport RI. Go to - http://se-ri.org/ to register! Patrick Laverty will be joining us for an interview next week. Stay tuned to hear more about this conference!
Interview: Dan Wheatley, StraightTalk
I am the Partner and CEO at Straight Talk Agency. I started Straight Talk with my business partner after we both had bad experiences with a range of ad agencies and had to do it ourselves with our own businesses. Straight Talk was the perfect opportunity at the right time and we havent looked back. We specialise in being a data driven company. Our elevator pitch is "do you know the saying i know 50% of my marketing works i just dont know which 50%, we answer that. More and more we find ourselves working with SAAS companies but we work with a range of clients in a range of industries.
Article Discussion on Leadership, Communication, and Innovation
Before You Set New Goals, Think About What You’re Going to Stop Doing
- Most of us fall into the trap where we start new before completing/removing the old
- To combat this, take a look at everything (hint: structure helps)
- Forge a new way to assess future opportunities (hint: structure helps)
Making the Most of Second Chances
- Build in a margin of safety
- Identify the unlikely but possible risks
- Ideally, this governs security — but it also represents opportunity, too
Inverted Pyramid: Writing for Comprehension
- Ideal for web — and modern approaches to email
- Put the most essential up top, and make sure you edit ruthlessly
- Summaries are always helpful
The Clearest Articulation Of A Marketing Roadmap
- Build a compelling story to move people toward a desired future state
- Build in the benefit — personal and otherwise — and make it real
- Identify key personas — the different people involved in the process
- Map the story to each persona
- Use multiple channels
Three Ways To Tell A Stranger About Your Strengths And Experience
- describe a stretch assignment
- offer a personal story that shares your “why”
- talk about your process, not your goal
Tracking Security Innovation
Tenable hires Morgan Stanley to prepare for IPO-sources
- Potentially for the fall
- Rumored to price between $1.5 and $2B
- $250M funding round in 2015; over $316M raised
Sift Science raised $53M Series D
- Over $106.5M in funding
- ‘Sift Science is a provider of real-time machine learning fraud prevention solutions for retail and travel sectors.
Virsec raised $24M Series B
- “Virsec Systems is a cybersecurity company that protects server-side and web applications from indefensible memory-based cyber-attacks.”
- Raised $29.6M over 3 rounds