Recorded August 14, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020, click the register button to register with our discount code or the schedule button to sponsor a micro-interview!
- OSHEAN and the Pell Center are partnering together to present Cybersecurity Exchange Day on Wednesday, March 18th from 9am-3pm at Salve Regina University in the beautiful Newport, RI! Visit securityweekly.com/OSHEAN2020 to register for free and come join in the fun!
- We have officially migrated our mailing list to a new platform! Sign up for the list to receive invites to our virtual trainings, webcasts, and other content relative to your interests by visiting securityweekly.com/subscribe and clicking the button to join the list! You can also submit your suggestions for guests by going to securityweekly.com/guests and submitting the form! We'll review them monthly and reach out if they are a good fit!
- Our first-ever virtual training is happening on March 19th @11:00am ET, with Adam Kehler & Rob Harvey from Online Business Systems Risk, Security & Privacy Team. In this training you will learn how to generate a complex SHA-256 hashed password and then use password cracking tools to break it. Register for our upcoming trainings by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast/training drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: John Smith, ExtraHop
I have over 21 years of experience in IT the last 17 in a Sr. Architect level role. While I refuse to use the term "thought leader" but I have fortunate enough to be a selected speaker at several conferences including Briforum (twice), Citrix Synergy (3x) as well as RSAC 2017 and 2 different B-Sides events in the last four years. My background is as a generalist but has swung back into Security in the last 8 years giving me over ten years of Cyber Security Experience. In 2010 I was awarded Citrix Technology Professional (CTP) by Citrix Systems and currently maintain two blogs and http://edgesightunderthehood.com http://wiredata.net and http://edgesightunderthehood.com.
I have extensive training and mentoring experience including two years as an adjunct instructor and over a dozen years of mentoring younger engineers. I have also functioned in a supervisory role either as a technical manager or team lead for over ten years including handling HR related issues, writing evaluations and assisting with career planning.
Network Detection & Response (NDR) as a critical component of cloud-first security, both because of the need for east-west visibility across cloud and on-premises assets, and because combining behavioral-based threat detection with signature-based detection gives organizations a better chance of discovering threats quickly enough (and with enough context) to mitigate the damage.
Interview: Joe Gillespie, Netsparker
Managing Vulnerabilities in the Enterprise
Managing verbalities sin the Enterprise is more than how many assets can you scan but how do you manage the issues that you discover.
- Usability – Software that is easy to use even for non - security personnel
- Easy to use tool
- Fast deployment, quickly operational
- intuitive UI and workflow.
- What assets do I have that I need to secure?
- Accuracy – Accuracy ensures acceptance and reduces manual checking
- accuracy of the scanner
- lack of false positives
- Integration – Integrating with other tools as part of the process (Issue tracking, CI )
- Integration with other tools such as issue tracking, CI, risk management, , SSO, messaging
- API - open and documented, allows for easy integration
- SDLC Process workflow
- Automation – Automation enables the management of large numbers of vulnerabilities
- Workflows that simplify and automate processes
- Synchronization with Issue tracking (updating both sides of the process)
- Automate notifications of activities
- Automated retesting of vulnerabilities
- Resolution – Tracking results and remediation progress
- Data insights
- Data management
Interview: Brandon Edwards, Capsulate8
Brandon Edwards is Capsule8’s Chief Scientist responsible for cybersecurity research strategy and for operationalizing findings into resulting innovations. Prior to Capsule8, Brandon was VP of Threat Labs at BAE Systems, having joined the company through its successful acquisition of SilverSky, where he designed their cloud-based, zero-day prevention product. Brandon has also served as hacker-in-residence at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, and held senior security roles at TippingPoint and McAfee.