Enterprise Security Weekly #71
Recorded November 29, 2017 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
Interview: James Wilkinson, Wells Fargo
Lieutenant Colonel, Ret. US Army. TS/SCI w/CI Poly. Transformative IT leader with a track record of re-engineering and realigning technology to solve business organizational challenges. A seasoned IT professional with Executive Director Level experience in Business Enterprise Architecture, Acquisition Program/Project Management, Risk Management and Cybersecurity. Collaborative leader in business transformation, operational experience and a disciplined approach in delivering results. Combines business acumen with deep technical experience to articulate strategy and inspire innovation across boundaries.
- What characteristics did you develop in the military that allow you to be successful in your current executive infosec position?
- What are some of the differences between the military and corporate environments in terms of cybersecurity and missions/tasks?
- What would be your advice for those seeking to make the transition from military to the cybersecurity industry?
- What are some of the things that helped make your transition easier?
- GuardiCore Advances Centra Platform To Simplify Micro-Segmentation - "Micro-segmentation is gaining traction to create software-defined security zones in clouds and data centers to isolate assets from one another and reduce risk. However, the path to meaningful micro-segmentation can be full of challenges, due to incomplete visibility into east-west traffic flows, inflexible policy engines and lack of multi-cloud support,"
- Docker, Kubernetes gain Sumo Logic native support - The company said Sumo Logic streamlines the data ingestion process with open-source and native integrations commonly used by Kubernetes and Docker, and provides improved visualization and optimized analytics to monitor the pulse of Kubernetes-based applications. This unified approach gives users full visibility and continuous intelligence into their applications and microservices architecture, reduces complexity and improves customer experience, according to the Sumo Logic. What are they logging, why, and how does that help the organization?
- AI, Machine Learning the Latest Tools to Fight Cyber-Attacks: F-Secure - As the world is fast moving towards Internet of Things and connected devices, deployment of artificial intelligence (AI) has become inevitable for cyber security firms to analyse huge amount of data to save networks from infiltration attempts, F-Secure's Security Advisor Sean Sullivan said. Is IoT the problem or just a symptom?
- CloudPassage Automates Security, Compliance for Docker Containers - Container Secure covers five key elements essential to container security: host security, continuous image assurance, runtime configuration assessment, visibility/compliance and DevOps ecosystem integration. What does that mean? (I don't know, but its provocative).
- McAfee Extends Cloud Security With Skyhigh Networks Acquisition - CASB technologies helps organizations manage cloud application usage across an enterprise. It's a hot area of technology that has resulted in multiple acquisitions in recent years. In June 2016, Cisco acquired CloudLock for $293 million and Oracle acquired Palerra in September 2016. In September 2015, Microsoft acquired Adallom for $320 million, while Blue Coat acquired Elastica in November 2015.
- Trend Micro Buys Immunio - Immunio's technology provides detection of application vulnerabilities, and the Montréal-based firm also offers container image-scanning so secure container images can be published and protected. Trend Micro plans to improve its container-specific security capabilities with image scanning, which identifies security issues so they can be addressed prior to deployment.
- Barracuda Networks Acquired by Thoma Bravo in $1.6B Deal - "We will continue Barracuda's tradition of delivering easy-to-use, full-featured solutions that can be deployed in the way that makes sense for our customers," BJ Jenkins, CEO of Barracuda, said in a statement. "Thoma Bravo has an excellent history of investing in growing security businesses, and this transaction speaks to the value and strength of Barracuda's security platform, which helps customers protect and manage their networks, applications, and data."