Announcements & Shameless Plugs
PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 264 for Thursday October 20th, 2011.
- Check out Hack Naked TV
- Friday October 28th is our 12 hour podcast for Hackers for Charity - we have a special interview with Johnny Long, Kevin Mitnick and other special guests in the works.
- Larry is teaching SEC580 Metasploit Kung Fu for Enterprise Pen Testing in San Antonio, TX December 4-5. Tell them (and us) that we sent you!
- Don't forget to Read our blog, Participate on our mailing list, Visit PaulDotCom Insider, Follow us on Twitter, Join the IRC channel at irc.freenode.net #pauldotcom, Watch our Videos and Add us on Facebook where we can be "friends"
- BSides, BSides, BSides everywhere
Guest Interview: Mike Poor
7:30 PM EDT
Mike Poor is a founder and Senior Security Analyst with InGuardians. Mike is an author and editor of the international best seller Snort 2.1 book from Syngress, and is a Handler for the Internet Storm Center. Mike teaches Intrusion Detection for the SANS Institute and has supported Intrusion Detection and Incident Response teams for the military, and has worked for Sourcefire as a research engineer.
- Mike, describe for us the state of intrusion detection today? Is it still dead? Back from the grave like a zombie?
- What are some of the most common pitfalls that organizations fall into with respects to intrusion detection?
- Is intrusion prevention useful and do you see a lot of organizations blocking attacks with this technology?
- So-called "smart firewalls" seem to be all the rage these days, blending IDS, IPS, and A/V into the firewall, is this a good idea?
- How does our software go about killing us? (Reference: http://inguardians.com/pubs/FriendlyTraitor.pdf)
- Defensively, what is the number one thing that organizations don't do?
- Offensively, what is the one thing that penetration testers can do better?
Five quick questions:
- Is shell just the beginning?
- When playing ass grabby-grabby, would you want to go first or second?
- Windows, OS X, or Linux?
- Who would you rather make out with, Jenna Jameson, Linux Torvalds, or Ed Skoudis?
- 3 words you use to describe yourself...