Announcements & Shameless Plugs
PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 320 for Tuesday February 12th, 2013
- Register for "Offensive Countermeasures: The Art Of Active Defense": Blackhat Europe! - March 12-15 in Amsterdam with Mike Perez! - SANS 2013 Orlando March 8-9th John Strand - SANSFIRE Washington, DC June 15-16th John Strand
- Come to Security BSides Rhode Island One-Day Conference on June 15th tickets are NOW ON SALE at http://bsidesri.eventbrite.com. Featured presentations from Josh Wright , Kevin Finisterre, Kati Rodzon and Mike Murray, Bruce Potter, Joe McCray ,Ron Gula, Ben Jackson, Dave Maynor and the entire PaulDotCom crew!
- The Stogie Geeks Show! - Kick some ash with the Stogie Geeks, Thursday nights at 8:30PM EST. Come have a cigar with us!
- Get 15% off all Online Forensic Courses with Discount Code: 0124_FOR15 only until February 20 - To learn more about the 15% discount on online forensic classes, visit SANS Specials Training page, which will also tell you how to access the many FREE forensic resources available from SANS. Hurry, the discount will only be valid through February 20.
Interview: Craig Heffner
Craig Heffner is a Vulnerability Researcher with Tactical Network Solutions in Columbia, MD. He has 6 years experience analyzing wireless and embedded systems and operates the devttys0 blog which is dedicated to embedded hacking topics. He has presented at events such as Blackhat and DEF CON and teaches embedded device exploitation courses. His skin has never been exposed to sunlight and is bioluminescent at 200 meters (656 feet) below sea level.
- How did you get your start in information security?
- If you were a serial killer, what would be your weapon of choice?
- Three words to describe yourself?
- If you had to write a book about yourself, what would it be?
- Stranded on a deserted island, which tablet would you take with you if you could only choose one: iPad, Android or Surface?
- In the popular game of ass grabby-grabby would you prefer to go first or second?
- Special Mardi Gras recording on Tuesday the 12th featuring a special appearance by Jack Daniel's beads!
- We are in the process of archiving and cataloging our technical segments, please visit the PaulDotCom Technical Library and we indexed all of the interviews we have conducted. We are also working on updating all of the articles, so check the newsletter or if you want to help in exchange for some free guidance and security training please email me.
- Larry teaching SANS SEC617 all over and coming to a city near you in 2013
Guest Tech Segment: Josh Wright
Just some talking points this week:
- 10 ways to reduce security headaches in a BYOD world
- Document Metadata Cleaner strips personally identifiable metadata from your files
- Unlocking Ma Bell: How Phone Phreaks Came To Be
- It's Now Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone - ABC News
- Bizarre Google search bug benefits porn websites | Naked Security
- Hacked US TV Channels report zombie apocalypse has begun
Oh the tales that Jack's beads would tell
- Not light reading, but Microsoft has released their Special Edition Security Intelligence Report Released - How Socio-economic Factors Affect Regional Malware Rates
- Jeremiah Grossman got hacked - by himself! What do you do when you lose the keys to the secret sauce recipe? Call in the password hackers! What initially made it tough is the security he was using on his password was no joke: "Grossman's AES256-encrypted DMG used a staggering 250,000 rounds of PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1"
- Bit9 accidentally signs malware for its customers