Difference between revisions of "Episode328"
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
= Interview: Jeremy Zerechak =
= Interview: Jeremy Zerechak =
= Announcement =
= Announcement =
Revision as of 04:51, 18 April 2013
Announcements & Shameless Plugs
PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 328 for Thursday April 18th, 2013
- Register for both our tracks at Blackhat USA Las Vegas! Defensive Countermeasures: Foundations for Becoming a Devious Defender and Offensive Countermeasures: The Art Of Active Defense July 27-28 & 29-30, register before May 31 for the best price!
- Register for our free webcast Hacking Embedded Systems (No Axe Required) on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM EDT to hear Paul talk about hacking embedded systems on the fly, on the cheap no soldering iron required! (we are also looking for sponsors for this webcast so please contact paul -at- hacknaked.tv for details!)
- Come to Security BSides Rhode Island Two-Day Conference on June 14th and 15th tickets are NOW ON SALE at WePay.com. Featured presentations from Josh Wright , Kevin Finisterre, Kati Rodzon and Mike Murray, Bruce Potter, Joe McCray,Ron Gula, Ben Jackson, Dave Maynor and the entire PaulDotCom crew!
- If you are in the Boston area, check out BSides Boston with Keynotes by Dan Geer and Josh Corman on Saturday May 18th!
- The Stogie Geeks Show! - Kick some ash with the Stogie Geeks, Sunday nights at 8:30PM EST. Come have a cigar with us! If you are in the Rhode Island area please visit our sponsor the Havana Cigar Club, its an awesome place to have a drink! Make sure you print out your [ $5.00 off coupon here]! (Web site experiencing problems, will update link when it comes back)
Interview: Dr. Whit Diffie
Dr. Diffie is a pioneer of public-key cryptography and was VP of Information Security and Cryptography at ICANN. He is author of Privacy on the Line: The Politics of Wiretapping and Encryption.
- Tell us about the genesis for your book and why you wrote it.
- Do you think privacy is dead? If not, how can we keep it alive?
- What is the Hummingbird algorithm and where would it be optimal?
- What do you mean by "A secure internet could not serve our needs"
Interview: Jeremy Zerechak
- Jeremy is an accomplished career documentarian and film technician. He has produced and directed two award winning feature-length documentaries: Land of Confusionchronicles his Army unit’s mission in Iraq and the operations of Iraq Survey Group;Code 2600, his newest film, is a documentary about the coming of the Information Technology Age and computer hacker culture. Both films have garnered top industry recognition and have screened at venues all across the nation. Currently, CODE 2600is being exhibited at universities and security conferences across the United States. Jeremy is also a decorated Iraq War veteran and an advocate for veteran rights. He currently teaches and studies film at the Ohio University School of Film. Jeremy’s awards include Special Jury Award, Florida Film Festival Land of Confusion, Special Jury Award, Atlanta Film Festival Land of Confusion, Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary 2013, Atlanta Film Festival CODE 2600.
Documentarian Jeremy Zerechak first became familiar with HFC while immersing himself into computer hacker culture during the filming of CODE 2600, his most recent award-winning, feature-length documentary. Since then, he has been maintaining regular contact with the organization’s founder, Johnny Long, his wife, Jen, and staff members Sam Kinch and Glenn Eccard for the past few months. HFC has committed their support to the documentary project, offering unfettered access to their classes and charitable operations, assistance on location in Jinja, discounted lodging for the crew, and logistical guidance for the crew’s travel to and from Uganda. Together we have begun coordinating the crew’s travel to Jinja and making arrangements for filming in July 2013.
- We are in the process of archiving and cataloging our technical segments, please visit the PaulDotCom Technical Library and we indexed all of the interviews we have conducted. We are also working on updating all of the articles, so check the newsletter or if you want to help in exchange for some free guidance and security training please email me.
- Larry teaching SANS SEC617 all over and coming to a city near you in 2013. It isn't too Late to sign up for my class in San Diego this May!
- If you are interested in hosting SANS Training in the Boston area via the mentor format, please send us an email at mike -at - pauldotcom.com! We're looking for a location that can host 2 hours in the evening, 1 night a week, for 10 weeks.