PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 344 for Thursday September 5th, 2013
- We've released a book on Offensive Countermeasures! Visit tinyurl.com/OCM-Amazon to add this to your summer reading list.
- We are looking for sponsors for our September webcast. Contact mike -at- hacknaked.tv for details!
- The Stogie Geeks Show! - Kick some ash with the Stogie Geeks, Thursday nights at 9:00PM EST. Come have a cigar with us! If you are in the Rhode Island area please visit our sponsor the Havana Cigar Club, its an awesome place to have a drink! Make sure you print out your $5.00 off coupon here!
Guest Interview: Richard Stiennon
Richard Stiennon, security expert and industry analyst, is known for shaking up the industry and providing actionable guidance to vendors and end users. He relaunched the security blog ThreatChaos.com and is the founder of IT-Harvest.
- How did you get your start in information security?
- How do you recommend others get their start in information security?
- We talk a lot about the state of the security industry, few are hopeful, some are depressed, where are we and where are we going?
- Will security be merged with IT for good?
- How has the latest information about NSA spying impacted the industry?
- There are obvious differences between boots on the ground and cyberwar, are there parallels between the two?
- How has technology changed warfare or has warfare changed technology?
- Is privacy dead? Did we kill it? Is there a way to gain some of our privacy rights back?
- Are firewalls still useful? Can't we just harden the systems instead? What keeps the firewall alive?
- What is Big data and how does it tie into information security?
- What is the current state of information sharing between governments, large corporations, and other entities such as CERT?
- Is there a market for anti-virus software on mobile devices? How do we solve the BYOD problem, or do we?
- What are some examples of "cyberwar" and which have had the most impact between warring states?
- In order to defend our organizations, what are the major changes that we need to make that differ from what most are doing today?
- Three words to describe yourself
- If you were a serial killer, what would be our weapon of choice?
- In a game of ass grabby-grabby do you prefer to go first or second?
- If you wrote a book about yourself, what would the title be?
- Stranded on a desert island, which tablet would you bring with you if you could choose only one: Android, iPad or Surface?
Tech Segment: John Strand
- Stuxnet Expert Proposes New Framework For ICS/SCADA Security
- "NSA Laughs At PCs
- "22 Years Later
- Stop treating your datacentre as if it were a laptop: Symantec
- Schneier on the NSA breaking "all internet encryption" Story has been covered to death, but worth highlighting this quote: "Remember this: The math is good, but math has no agency. Code has agency, and the code has been subverted."
- Burp just got a new update Looks like there's a lot of nifty new features, so be sure to update if you use it. I'll be looking at this more in the upcoming weeks.