Wireless Guest Network: Part I
- 2 WRT54GLs
- 2 LINKSYS POE Adapter WAPPOE12 12V
- OpenWrt "Whiterussian" 0.9
- Step 1 - Unbox and flash the routers. For the WRT54GL, you must use the web interface to put the initial OpenWrt image on them. (Question, why does Linksys not enable boot_wait by default?). Also, do not use the PoE adapters when flashing!
- Step 2 - Change the IP address of the routers, enable boot_wait, and set the hostname:
nvram set lan_ipaddr="10.10.10.5" nvram set boot_wait="on" nvram set wan_hostname="myap1" nvram set wan_proto="none"
- Step 3 - Create a separate VLAN or physical network, preferably with a separate Internet connection. Put that APs on that subnet.
- Step 4 - Harden and perfomance tune OpenWrt - Remove the packages that are not required:
ipkg remove ppp ppp-mod-ppoe webif haserl kmod-ppp kmod-pppoe
Disable services not required:
cd /etc/init.d mv S50httpd disabled_S50httpd mv S50telnet disabled_S50telnet
- Step 5 - Enable DHCP on each of the access points:
cat > /etc/init.d/S60dnsmasq
- ! /bin/ash
Now, remove the DHCP configuration from the /etc/dnsmasq.conf, and replace it with: