From Paul's Security Weekly
Recorded October 31, 2019 at G-Unit Studios in Rhode Island!
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 - March 30 - April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020 and click the register button to register with our discount code!
- Attend RSA Conference 2020, February 24-28 and join thousands of security professionals, forward-thinking innovators and solution providers for five days of actionable learning, inspiring conversation and breakthrough ideas. Register before January 24 and save $900 on a Full Conference Pass. Save an extra $150 by going to securityweekly.com/rsac2020 and use our code to register!
- Our next webcast is February 13th with Sri Sundaralingam, Vice President, Product and Solutions Marketing at ExtraHop where we will discuss Cloud Native Network Detection and Response! Register for our upcoming webcasts by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
Interview: Philippe Courtot & Sumedh Thakar, Qualys - 6:00-6:30PM
Before joining Qualys, Philippe was the Chairman and CEO of Signio, an electronic payment start-up that he repositioned to become a significant e-commerce player. In February 2000, VeriSign acquired Signio for more than a billion dollars. Today, VeriSign’s payment division, based on the Signio technology, handles 30% of electronic transaction in the U.S., processing $100-million in daily sales. Prior to Signio, Philippe was President and CEO of Verity, where he re-engineered the company to become the leader in enterprise knowledge retrieval solutions. Under Philippe’s direction, the company completed its initial public offering in November 1995. Philippe also turned an unknown company of 12 people, cc:Mail, into the dominant e-mail platform provider, achieving a 40% market share while competing directly against IBM and Microsoft. Acknowledging the market leading position of cc:Mail and the significance of e-mail in corporate environments, Lotus acquired the company in 1991. In 1986, as CEO of Thomson CGR Medical, a medical imaging company, Philippe received the Benjamin Franklin award for his role in the creation of a nationwide advertising campaign promoting the life-saving benefits of mammography. Philippe served on the Board of Trustees for The Internet Society, an international non-profit organization that fosters global cooperation and coordination on the development of the Internet. French and Basque born, he holds a master’s degree in physics from the University of Paris, came to the US in 1981 and has lived in Silicon Valley since 1987.
A New Prescription for Security
Philippe Courtot, chairman and CEO of Qualys will examine the impact of today's complex and hyper-connected IT environments have on security and compliance. He will discuss why, in a world where everything connects, we need to regain the visibility we have lost, and why visibility is now the cornerstone of security. Simply put, it is difficult, if not impossible, to secure what we do not know or cannot see.
- Video: https://vimeo.com/349546310
- News: https://betanews.com/2019/07/29/qualys-asset-discovery-free/
A long time advocate of the SaaS model and cloud computing, Sumedh worked at Intacct, a cloud-based financial and accounting software provider, before working at Qualys. Previous to Intacct, Sumedh worked at Northwest Airlines to develop complex algorithms for yield and revenue management for their backend reservation system.
Sumedh is active in the PCI and security community working closely with the PCI Council on the development and enhancement of PCI DSS. He co-authored “PCI Compliance for Dummies,” an easy-to-read guide designed to educate merchant organizations about PCI. Sumedh has a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering with distinction from the University of Pune.
Security in the Cloud Era
- www. Qualys.com
- Introductions and backgrounds
- The State Of Vulnerability Management - Patching, automation, configuration, cloud.
- Vulnerability Scanning and Management in DevOps
Tech Segment: Sven Morgenroth, Netsparker - 6:30PM-7:00PM
Security Weekly RoundTable, Cyberwire - 7:30-8:30PM
Paul and Matt sit down with Dave Bittner from Cyberwire to discuss the state of security podcasts, the latest security trends, and the security community.